Chemo before surgery

Hey all! First post…

I was diagnosed last month with stage 1b3, but the physical exam from the surgeon didn’t agree with the mri, so had a further examination under anaesthetic today to work out exactly what’s what. (The surgeon thought the cancer was confined to the cervix, the mri indicated it involved the vaginal wall).

I briefly spoke with the surgeon after the procedure and he said that there was a very small area of involvement in the vaginal wall, and his plan is to shrink the cancer via chemo and then do surgery. I assume this will get discussed at the mdt.

I can’t find a huge amount of info about this kind of treatment plan, has anyone gone this route?

Thanks,
Emma

Only you and your team can decide the best treatment plan and i suspect things might change at MDT. The way i see it as a bystander is that if its in the vagina then it can no longer be classified as a stage 1 cancer as its now locally advanced and therefore a stage 2. I woukd ask them if this is the case. The treatment for stage 2 is typically chemorads not surgery as this has better outcomes. In your position i wouid ask them to discuss the risks and benefits of both options. Good luck and be firm about what YOU want.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, it was really helpful. As you suspected, the MDT has said the chemo rads is the recommended treatment for my stage. Waiting on an appointment for a PET scan to start it all off.

Aww, i am glad that you are getting what i think is the correct protocol for your stage and likely to get good outcomes. I hope it all kicks off quickly. Good luck!

1 Like