CGIN, unsatisfactory colposcopy and Lletz

Hi I had a phone call to make a 2 week appointment following a routine smear as had high risk HPV with abnormal endocervical glandular cells with suspicion of neoplasia. Went for colposcopy and had Lletz at same appointment. When I read the referral letter sent to my GP on NHS APP it said that it was an unsatisfactory colposcopy with transformation zone 3 , just wondering what kind of follow up I will be offered if lletz biopsy is negative as the abnormal cells are higher up and might not have been reached…concerned that I will be followed up in 6 months with abnormal cells still in situ
Thanks for any advice

1 Like

I was going to say, ‘try not to worry…’ but I know exactly how it feels, especially when you haven’t been able to speak to a Dr yet but you’ve seen this letter on the NHS app. I would recommend getting in touch with the colposcopy department, if they can’t help they should be able to direct you to one of the medical secretaries for the consultants who decide the treatment plans. I’m sure they will in touch with you as well but it’s so horrible just sitting around and waiting to hear. If the smear detected abnormal cells, I’m pretty sure those would have been taken out by the LLETZ, as the smear swab can’t go very far into the cervical canal. They will be able to see if the biopsy has clear margins or if they need to do another LLETZ, if they suspect there are any abnormal cells remaining they won’t leave it for 6 months. I’m in a similar situation with an awkward transformation zone and anxiety about something going on ‘higher up’ while I wait for biopsy results. Sending you strength! xx

1 Like

Thanks for the advice and support, think it’s the waiting that’s the hardest part. Hope all ok with you

1 Like