CGIN - Anyone else had this?

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and i wonder if someone might be able to help me. 

I had a letter on Wednesday informing me that my smear result was abnormal and I required an urgent hospital referral and if I had not received my hospital appointment I was to see my GP...which I did on Thursday and they said I had CGIN. My colposcopy appointment is this afternoon and I'm worried as I don't really know what to expect.  Has anyone else had CGIN and did you have the LLETZ treatment there and then or were you asked to come back at a later date? Is it more common to have LLETZ or a cone biopsy for CGIN? I'm 31 and never had an abnormal smear before. I've had a terrible weekend of worrying! Thanks for reading. x

Hey, bless you :( first of all the colposcopy really isn't that bad at all, justhat's uncomfortable as a smear. I haven't experienced CGIN myself but I'm sure they would do a lletz but under general anisthetic as obviously the cells are harder to reach being in the canal. The appointment this afternoon will confirm it all for you though, my advice is to write a list of questions because your mind goes blank when the doc is infront of you. Honestly you will be ok today, you will get answers need. Good luck hunny xxxxxxxx

Hey, bless you :( first of all the colposcopy really isn't that bad at all, justhat's uncomfortable as a smear. I haven't experienced CGIN myself but I'm sure they would do a lletz but under general anisthetic as obviously the cells are harder to reach being in the canal. The appointment this afternoon will confirm it all for you though, my advice is to write a list of questions because your mind goes blank when the doc is infront of you. Honestly you will be ok today, you will get answers need. Good luck hunny xxxxxxxx

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. Good idea about writing questions down, I will def do that.  Thanks for your advice xx

Hello. Hope you are ok?! I was told in December at my colposcopy appointment that I had CGIN and in February had lletz done under general anaesthetic so if you need any one to chat to feel free to private message me :) xx

Hi, thanks for your reply. I had my colposcopy today and I'm due to have a lletz under general anaesthetic some time in the next 2 - 4 weeks and am also booked in for a scan in a couple of weeks. I hope your Lletz goes really well. Thanks for the offer of chat, same here if you fancy a chat! xx

Hi

I've  been treated (sucessfully!) for High grade CGIN.  the docs tend to be more cautious with CGIN as its a bit harder to spot and monitor, so the may want you checked more regularly.   2 years later and 2 procedures later, it seems like they got it all and i'm getting clear smears :) .  i'll be checked every 6 months for 10 years and they use 2 brushes at the smear to reach the bits higher up where the CGIN is found. 

Best wishes

xx

Hi Michelle, 

Thanks for your reply, its great to hear your treatment has been successful. I haven't had my results through yet from my lletz so I'm not sure on the next step yet. I worry a lot aboutw what this step may be so its a comfort to hear it can be successfully treated. I notice that you had a cone biopsy after the lletz - was this a precaution to prevent against HG CGIN coming back? The reason I ask is that my CGIN is also HG, (although this could change when the biopsy results come back) so I'm just wondering if this may be a suggested treatment for me. 

Many thanks

xx

Hey

I needed the cone biopsy as I didnt get clear margins from the Lletz (they werent sure they got all the cells), mainly as the abnormal area was quite large for me.

As CGIN can appear in patches they wanted to be sure they got it all and went back after 6 weeks to remove a larger area during the cone biopsy.  It was little more aggressive than average CIN treatment but it did the trick.  The doctors always say i'm in the best situation now as i'm aware and they are keeping a close eye on me! knowledge is power :)

They may well get it all with the Lletz for you (everyone is different), but don't be worried about the cone biopsy if it turns out you need one.  Its a very sucessful treatment and not as bad as it sounds.  I'm a massive wimp with a huge needle/blood test/hospital phobia and I managed it fine :)

Happy to answer any more questions you have :)

Hope it all goes well

xx