Cervical Cancer@70

Hi I have joined your excelant forum as my wife has recently been diagnosed with CC. She has a 25mm tumour in her Cervix and the tale of it has spread 25mm into her Vagina. It has come from HPV but how after all these years can this happen? All her tests have been clear right to her last one 6 yrs ago! She just can’t understand why ??

Hi. I’m sorry to hear about your wife’s diagnosis. If you are in the UK then they only started testing for HPV a few years ago. So for me all my previous smears were negative for cell changes until this last one where they found HPV and then checked the cells, found CGIN and then cancer. So I’ve likely had HPV for years and not known it.

Hi Maiasdanda

2017 I was diagnosed with cc age 60y despite a long history of normal smear results, albeit in my case I hadn’t had a smear test for 12 years when diagnosed

HPV primary screening was rolled out across the UK between 2018-2020; before then samples were only checked for HPV if abnormal cells were detected. 6 years ago your wife’s cervical sample would have been checked for abnormal cells and the fact her test was reported as clear meant none were found and no further tests would have been done.

It’s possible that abnormal cells were present in your wife’s sample but were missed which is something that it may be possible to have checked, assuming the sample is still in storage at the laboratory. Another possibility is that your wife had abnormal cells 6 years ago but they weren’t picked up when the sample was taken (it is just a sample) which of course is something that can’t be checked.

Like any investigation smear tests are not perfect albeit they do save many lives each year as well as helping to prevent cervical cancer in the first place. Unfortunately the screening programme does fail some (a number of us on this forum feel that the cut off age of 64y is too young) and I’m sorry that your wife is one of those. However there’s much to be hopefui for and, although it’s something we would all rather do without, the treatments cure the majority.

x

2 Likes

Thank you PurpleCarrot.

Thanks Jazza and PurpleCarrot My wife agrees re age limit same with Breast Cancer. Screening. We have spent most of today at Poole hospital. The NHS and the hospital staff have been brilliant. In three weeks its gone from shock diagnosis to Scan for Radiotherapy and treatment dates. Amazing organisation.

2 Likes

Hi @Maiasdanda! It sounds like your wife is receiving wonderful care.

Don’t be afraid to ask anything. The wonderful people on here will answer with advice about all sorts.

Take care xx

So pleased things are moving quickly for your wife. She is going to get very tired and there may well be other side effects (we will all empathise) but it’s all treatable and doable. I’m 65 and I completed treatment a year ago. My smears were all clear, but the last few must have missed the development of cancer - there are reasons why this might have happened for me, but I have heard of this happening from others. The chances are it was developing for some time but has turned into cancer within the last 6 years. It happens. The important thing is that it’s been identified, that it hasn’t spread out of the area, and that it is going to be knocked out of the water!

1 Like

Thanks Jakks. This all helps. My wife Vivien is worried about having the swabs for Covid19. I’m 2trying to stop the build up of anxiety but its always hard waiting as I have been through it with Prostate cancer. She has preempted that she may loose some hair by having it cut shorter this week , hopefully it won’t be to bad. We may have a quieter week with less hospital appointments until the Radiotherapy and Chemo start on the 20th. Take care .

Please tell your wife not to worry about the swabs - they are a small thing, and she will be fine with that. The chemo they give you for cervical cancer does not mean a loss of hair - it’s a platinum based drug - likely to be cisplatin - with the usual problem of tiredness and nausea and a possibility of tinnitus and hearing problems, but not hair loss. The short hair will be a real boon though, because the whole treatment is very tiring. She needs to get some stretchy sports bras (no metal or fastenings) and stretch trousers, again with no metal, as it will mean she doesn’t have to get undressed for the radiotherapy and put on those hideous open-backed gowns. I got myself soft stretch top Aladdin trousers that slipped down easily, and colourful neck scarves. Anything soft and comfortable to make you feel more normal! You never know how it will hit someone - a number of us had bowel issues - another reason to have loose comfortable clothing - and us older ladies get very tired. But the weeks pass, and she will get though it. Please encourage her to come on the forum and talk to people - the support is important for everyone. X

Hello again. I have tried to persuade my wife Vivien to read and post on this site , but alas she is not keen to do so at present. Vivien has asked me to post for her.
Since my last post Viv had a CT scan with the radioactive solution injection. Sadly this indicated that the Cancer had spread to a Lymph node. So treatment was halted and the Radiotherapy was re-planned to treat the Nymph node. So now we jump forward a week and Viv has just completed her first week of Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy today. Apart from getting her water levels correct for the scan and the “gas” in her stomach, its gone reansobley well with no bad.side effects so far from the Radiotherapy and a feeling of wanting to bring up wind in her tummy from the Chemotherapy. Viv starts her second week of treatments on Monday so time will tell as the treatment progresses.

Vivien did write the passage below for our home Whats app family group.
Hope all your treatments go to plan. Paul and Vivien x

Chemotherapy went well today lovely atmosphere at the day centre two people rang the bell because it was their last treatment and everyone clapped. Had a bit of a headache during Chemotherapy so I’ve got to drink lots water to flush my kidneys through as this drug is very toxic to them . I have to watch for certain symptoms over the next few days as things can quickly become serious. I have emergency numbers to call if i get into trouble, Now I have 2 days off and then it all starts again on Monday. Love to you all hugs and kisses :hugs::hugs::hugs::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::kiss::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi Maisadanda

I found Jo’s website very early on in my cc ‘journey’ but only looking to begin with and was very selective about what I read as my mental health was fragile at the time. Initially I didn’t engage much with the forum and didn’t post until over 2 years after my treatment; it’s not for everyone, we’re all different in what kind of support is helpful. I wasn’t one for any form of social media before my diagnosis and had some preconceived ideas about forums; must say I was pleasantly surprised by Jo’s forum when I eventually got here.

x

1 Like