Cancer confirmed, now what?

Cancer was confirmed last week. Today, the referral for an oncologist was approved. The soonest appointment is 3 weeks away. I don’t know how I will remain sane for 3 weeks. I do not know what to expect. What stage, anything. I’ve only shared with my husband and sisters. I don’t even know how to talk about it and I am not sure if I want to tell anyone else. I am so numb and scared.

Hi Guitta,

Sorry to hear your recent diagnosis, I know how frightening it must be. Waiting on staging is the worst part the not knowing what’s going on is awful.
I was diagnosed in May 21 and then had MRI, CT and Pet scan in June. I met with oncologist in July and started treatment in August.
Just take one day at time, this forum is fantastic you’ll be able to connect with women at the same stage as you, women who are going through treatment and those that have completed treatment.
If you have any questions please ask and we’ll do our best to help you.
Take care xx

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your response. Can I ask who ordered the CT and Pet Scan? I was not told to have anything done before meeting with oncologist…now wondering if I need to ask or just wait??

Hi,

The gynaecologist who carried out the colposcopy at the hospital booked the scans. These took place at a different hospital I then had 2 appointments with another gynaecologist. Who went through the scans and told me what treatment I would have. It was after this that I was referred to oncologist who talked a bit more in detail about treatment and organised planning scans. It was just over 2 months between diagnosis and start of treatment.
I only met the oncologist once.

1 Like

I did colposcopy/biopsy with OB/GYN and then referred and awaiting appointment with oncologist. Neither have me doing any additional tests (as of now). I feel from what I have been reading that I should be so I have them done when I finally meet with oncologist. The waiting to get any type of answers is so hard. Thank you for answering my questions. VERY appreciative.