Can abnormal cells be found at colposcopy if not found at smear?

Hi there, I just have a question ahead of my first colposcopy. I recently had my third smear in 3 years and as I am still HPV positive with no abnormal cells I’ve been invited for a colposcopy. Just so I can prepare myself, I just want to ask if abnormal cells can still be found at a colposcopy if a smear didn’t pick this up?
Thanks in advance - this forum is so helpful and so needed.
Meg

1 Like

Hi @Megeve

It is very promising that there hasnt been any changes picked up by any of your 3 previous smears… at this point it is more to cover their own backs that your being referred for a closer look rather than a cause for concern… as effective as smears are, they arnt always 100% and on rare occasions cells can be missed, so there is a very small possibility they could still find some, but if they did they would be just as surprised as you are lol xx

1 Like

Thank you so much for responding. That’s really helpful and makes complete sense :blush:

@Megeve

Hi just wondering how u got on please as am in exact same position as u xxx

Yes, they can find abnormal cells at colposcopy. However, it could be that they just want to double check by taking a look.

Hi Kay, I’ve still got a few more weeks to wait until my appointment but will keep you updated once I have my results. :smiling_face:

1 Like

Thabk u. I hope ur ok. I go for mine tomoro. My smear last 3 years was hpv but no abnormal xxx

I’m okay thank you, I Just want to get it all over with haha but hope all goes well for you tomorrow! X

Same. Hopefully the face we had no abnormal cells uts a good thing . I dont know anyone else who has had same x thank u

1 Like

Hello, I’m in this same position, 3 HPV+ results with no abnormal cells and I have a colposcopy tomorrow. Hoping all will be ok for us all

1 Like

Hope all went okay! X

Good luck with with your colposcopy tomorrow - hope all goes well! X

1 Like

Hi all i dont know if any comfort to u all but i went today and all was ok they said its literally just a check up if u have no abnormal cells u will be fine xxxx

1 Like

Hi Kay! thank you - I had mine a couple of weeks ago and all okay. I was told low grade viral change and potential CIN1 so got to get another smear next year :blush:

2 Likes

Hi all, im in same boat here. HPV + with no abnormal cell changes March 22 and March 23. I have colposcopy at the end of May. Im trying not to think about it but it hits me at times and I get really worried about it and im not sleeping great, i wake every night and its the first thing i think of. Hope your colposcopy went well Esmie and you got good news,x

How were alk of your results? I have the same situation and have my first colposcopy on Friday.

Hi! My results came back negative so no biopsy needed, but as still HPV pos I’ve been advised to get repeat cervical screening again next year xx

2 Likes