Calcium tablets-yuk!

Hi, 

I am 18 months post radical hysterectomy plus ovaries and my consultant said he didn't want me going on HRT until 5 years all clear (they got clear margins and my lymph nodes were clear).  

I have been very fortunate with my symptoms of menopause - just a few sweats here and there and a little irritability at the odd time. I am happy not to take HRT and I've been prescribed calcium tablets which are revolting. I have tried a couple of different brands but they are all as horrible as each other. They have to be chewed and then I have to take a glass of water after. Twice a day. I know this is insignificant compared to what I've been through and ihters are going through but I wondered if anyone was taking any other form of more palatable calcium? Ie tablet to swallow or liquid? Because I can't stand them I am not taking them as regulary as I should. Been to pharmacist but they only offer chalky tablets.

Thank you

Jo

Hi Sunny :-)

I'm guessing this is to prevent osteoporosis? Can you not just try increasing the amount of calcium you take in your diet? Like adding milk/yoghurt/cheese. (Though I have read somewhere that dairy may increase your other symptoms like sweating and stuff. I also understand that walking is very good for the skeleton.

Not sure if any of this is of any use just sticking in my tuppence-worth really.

Be lucky

Tivoli

Hi Tivoli,

Yes it is to prevent osteoporosis as I was 33 when I had the op.  I do eat dairy and have found I'm putting on weight (can't win!) since then. I dog walk every day.  I'm going to ask my consultant if I can take Menopace as there are good reviews on it and have just seen there is one that combines calcium. Fingers crossed I will be allowed to take it. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

Best wishes

Sunnyshiney

Hi Sunnyshiny

Not sure if this is any help but sometimes your vit d can be low which will not help calcium levels. I take adcal d3 which is calcium and vit d together in tablet form so have been spared the chalk chewable version which is yuk. Maybe worth asking doctor to check vit d levels. Just a blood test needed.

Hope this is some use to you.

shaz