Bracky

Hi can yous lovely ladies tell me bit more about bracky and full procedure plz, told my oncologist i wasnt keen on it, in fact it terrifies me tbh. She told me tough cause thats whats going be done, feel like I should have options but was given none. Plz help x

1 Like

Brachy is a treatment for cancer not cell changes. It seems a little odd. Can you say more about your situation?

Hi @Petesdragon , im not sure whats odd? I never mentioned cell changes only bracky.As im sure i should have been given either more info or options. Hope your doing well x

Hi Lesley. This is the cell change forum so that is probably what is odd. Try posting in the cervical cancer treatment forum, you may have more response. X

1 Like

Hi @Lesley1

The confusion here is that this post seems to have somehow ended up in the “Treatment for cell changes (abnormal cells)” category rather than the “cervical cancer treatment” category… you might have more relevant replies if you repost your question in there xx

1 Like

Its just got into the wrong category that’s all. Its titled treatment for cell changes so i was confused.

As far as the Brachy goes, it improves your chances but its your body your choice. You perhaps need more discussions with your oncologist so that you can reach the right decision for you together.

Karen

:see_no_evil: never realised :pleading_face: yeah guess that would help, still new to site so very unfamiliar. Thanks x

2 Likes

@Petesdragon my apologies didnt realise it was in that category, just put up new topic :see_no_evil: x

1 Like

Thanks had no idea, just did new topic, silly me x

1 Like

Hi ,yes i get that now, didn’t realise, not quite sure how though :roll_eyes: thats where my problem is as theres no discussion at all and none aloud. X

1 Like

I’ve just had 2 26/27 hour brachytherapy sessions on Thursday 17th November to Friday 18th November and Thursday 24th November to Friday 25th November.

Healthcare staff should be following a shared decision making model. It all sounds a bit patriarchal so you should perhaps have a word with the patient liason service if this isnt happening.

That said, the point of brachy is to target the radiotherapy directly at the tumour so you need less radiotherapy overall. Radiotherapy is damaging to healthy tissues as well as to tumours so the more targeted you can have it, the better. I didn’t have brachy in 1997 and i went on to develop another radiotherapy induced cancer two decades later.

Your body, your choice. You can decline any treatnents you choose, but in your shoes i wouid take it.

Karen

Thanks, only spoken with oncologist, think it just terrifies me tbh, i cant lie still just now never mind for that length of time. Doctor wasn’t interested in how i felt or thought about it x

Hi, i had 3 Brachytherapy treatments, the team were amazing, i was shown around the department, all the equipment was explained, all my questions were answered, i also asked if i could have an Epidiral injection instead of a General Anaesthetic as l didn,t want to be unconscious, they agreed to the EPIDURAL on all 3 treatments, all 3 treatments were painless, please be assured of that. It was the tests and having to be there all day for the Brachytherapy that was frustrating, but believe me it was worth it, i am now cancer free, i have been given a second chance because of the Brachytherapy, it is a more precise treatment which destroyed the spread of cancer cells in my Lymph Nodes. Dont be anxious about this treatment, it is painless.
I hope this post puts your mind at rest.
All the very best.
Carol

1 Like

Hi carol, Thanks for your helpful input. Congratulations on being cancer free. Go you… Im up tomorrow for my prep so should be told more then, Glad to hear it was pain free. Did you have to stay overnight? Im not even sure about ga or epidural yet something i will discuss with them tomorrow. You have helped very much . Thank you x

1 Like

Hello Lesley, no i didnt stay overnight, i arrived at 7.30 am, and went home at 6pm. Dont be afraid to ask questions, yes services are stretched, but once your treatment begins you will be in the very best hands, the staff are absolutely brilliant, i know all patients are different, but adking for the EPIDURAL was the best thing i did, no nausea, no drowsiness, i wasn’t allowed home until the evening because they had to be sure that the EPIDURAL had fully worn off enabling me to pass urine naturally.
Regards
Carol

1 Like

Hi carol, ahh im overnight , thot of it being left in gives me fear, im sure they will all be fantastic , never thought of how ga would make me feel lol too stressed at thought of rest :see_no_evil: though sleepy sounds good at moment but definitely not nausea x

Hi, no chance of being left in, 4 staff at my bedside, scan etc. Try not to over think things, i took 2 Nytol the night before, it helped me sleep,
Take care
Carol

I was of the same mindset as you and even walked out of my planning scan as they hadn’t given me any pre warning! In the end I told myself I had no choice.

I had my last brachy session last week and can only say that it wasn’t as bad I had built it up to be. My oncologist did say I might as well stop all treatment immediately if I didn’t have it and I definitely still stand by the thought it must of been designed by a man!

I just got my head around it and took it as the final piece of the jigsaw to help my future. It was painful and I did get some side effects but they were short lived. Reading up on it was not that helpful to me as there was so much you don’t read about.

1 Like

Definitely left in overnight, will just have to grin an bear it, thanks for tip, will buy some :grin: x

1 Like