Brachytherapy day!

THanks for everyone's well wishes.  

I've been back home a couple of hours now in my lovely dis posable knickels that they gave me at the hospital. I've made my own sandwich for lunch and a brew. I'm really tired but I guess that's 2 nights with no sleep so am looking forward to a good shower and bed tonight.

Side effects of the braccy is just bleeding but that's dying off now, ive been told its only a problem if i hAve to changer the pad hourly.  No soreness or anything.  I've had 2 PAINLESS bowel movements which is fantastic,  firstly I thought the loperimide might bung me up for a couple of days and secondly because it's healing! My urine isn't stinging at all either. I really feel on the way up.

I've been sent home with more fybogel and loperimide even though I have a full box at home. I have to take the loperimide before next week's treatment.  Next week I'm going to resume my normal diet. I've lost around 3kg which I'm suprised about. My tummy is also tighter - I'm wondering if it was the tumour that made me fatter??????

I can't believe next week this time my treatment will be over. I can't believe how lucky I have been and how kind the treatment has been to me. I can only hope that this luck continues and the treatment has cured me.

The brachytherapy has definitely been easier than my wildest dreams - I hope anyone who is waiting for theirs has a good experience like me. 

Hi Philleepa I hope your relaxing wee girl you deserve it. Your tummy does swell when you have a Tumour yesterday i put on a pair of Jeans and couldnt get the zip up I tried all the usual things lying on the bed etc I phoned my Niece who is 5FT 10 and 32 inch leg and asked if she left a pair of jeans here even though i am 5ft 1 and the jeans fitted me in length. When i was in hospital they weighed me they said i was 11 stone I said no way i am 10 stone my Tumour weighs a stone seriously it must lol Can i ask how much is 3KG im old nobody bloody told me we had moved from pounds & stones. Lots of love xx

Hi Philleepa,

Glad your first brachytherapy went well for you, I too got through my treatment ok after fearing the worst and thinking I would be totally wiped out from day one.

I’m now 7 weeks post treatment and apart from the continual emotional struggle I feel quite well.

Wishing you well for next week.

Mel xx

So pleased your Bracytherapy hasn't been as bad as you thought it would be & they say it is going well xxx

So pleased to hear that it wasn't as bad as you feared. Really I think that posts like these should be compiled into a brachytherapy leaflet and given out at all hospitals so that in future the whole prospect of brachy stops driving terror into our hearts

:-)

Thanks everyone.  I think we all need to hear positive stories. I think I have been very lucky too.  I've always had a very positive attitude when it comes to medical procedures so I don't know if that's helped or if my body just copes with things well, we're all made differently aren't we. That's probably why I ended up at stage 4 before I was diagnosed - my symptoms were probably not bad enough to alarm anyone. Although I am still annoyed that the Dr didn't send me to a gynaecologist a year earlier when she couldn't do a smear test cos I was bleeding too much. Anyway, I can't harp on about that.

Had a lovely day yesterday, especially when my daughter turned up a day early unexpectedly.  We just had a lazy day. 

It did mean my hubby had to sleep back in my bed. I'd sent him to my daughters room so that I didn't disturb him by being up and down all night  but also so he didn't disturb me if I was asleep. 

I had a really good sleep last night. Went to sleep just after midnight and although I woke up a couple of times for a wee, when the boys went to school and when the dog barked, i stayed asleep till 11am. I do feel tired now but I'm going to get up soon, have a shower and go for a walk. 

My legs feel a bit heavy but hopefully a bit of movement will do them good

Just an add. I find it amazing that my slight burning when passing water has just disappeared.  I'm wondering if the catheter has completely drained what was causing the irritation.

Just a quick update.  While I have been fully functional today, I have felt very tired all day and would have come to bed earlier if we hadn't had visitors in the shape of my mother in law and sister in law. I'm slightly bleeding but not too bad. 

Hopefully a good night's sleep will do me good as I want to go for a lovely walk tomorrow x 

Hi Philleepa Rest as much as you can when you can your body needs it after all your treatment. I hope you are having a lovely weekend with your family chilling. You  havent been on today so i hope that means you are tucked up in bed after your walk lol thinking about you xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Philleepa

Just checking to see how you're feeling now?

Hope you're doing well x

Hi. Aww thank you both for your thoughts.  I didn't get out yesterday as tiredness was still quite prevalent as are heavy legs.  We had a chill out morning and my friend came round with her little boy in the afternoon do had a really nice day. 

My daughter went back to uni in the evening and I got really upset. I dropped her off and then nipped to the supermarket fir my snacks on Tues.   I saw a couple of people I know and I avoided them. I think my confidence must be at an all time low.

Was in bed for 9.30pm.  Our Saturday night treat has always been my 8 year old sleeps in my bed and this is the first time since xmas we have done that.  He actually slept till 10.45am!  Lovely lie in.  

So for this morning I feel ok.  Still feel tired bit I think I'm being lazy and allowing myself to just do nothing. Still, only a couple more days before I regain ownership of my life. Am dreaming of the Dr telling me on Tues that it's all gone. Someone on the cc facebook page had that happen to her. She still had to have her braccy though. 

Anyway,  my mum, step dad and niece are all coming for brunch at 1pm so we'll hopefully have a nice day.  My brother in law has gone on holiday and my 23 year old niece is home alone

Her mum, my sister, died in September and since I was diagnosed in Dec I've not been there for her as much as I've wanted to be so I'm hoping to get back on track with that.  We've still been in touch but not as much as I wanted to be.  

It's been such a hard few months for my family and I'm just hoping that it's all good news from here  x 

Thanks  x 

Your family will understand and will want you to put yourself first.

That was great having your lil one in your bed for snuggles...bet you both loved it....the simple things!

I've been avoiding people too although its been hard as my hubby tells everyone everything and Im normally a private person so had to have a word with him. I'm just heading out kust now do hoping I dont see too many people lol

Have a lovely day with your nearest and dearest x

Thank you.  

I'm dreading going back to the real world in a way. I have been happy (but bored) in my cocoon.  It will be difficult going out at first but it's just another hurdle to get over x 

I've had to speak to my husband too about divulging information. I've told him to say  'she's fine' rather than ' she's a bit washed out,' ,

Poor man!

Hi Philleepa bless you hun you have not had time to mourn the loss off your sister until you were thrown into this hell. I know your sister would be so proud of you and how you have gone through this awful struggle and managed to help lots of Ladies going through the same thing i salute you. I know it can be difficult when our kids go away my son has been in Australia for over a year he just came home on Friday he wants to go through my treatment with me i feel blessed.

I hope you get to spend some girlie time with your Niece i dont see mine all the time because she lives in Belfast but when we get together it is such a tonic. She tells me my clothes belong on Noah's ark and my hairstyle is stuck in the eighties lol Im not sure if i feel good before she leaves or want to book into therapy for low self esteem.

Its good to hear you are resting up and you got a lie in with your little one its good to do normal things. Philleepa you are nearly finished your treatment i hope you get the good news you deserve. Keep us posted lots of love xxxxxxxxxxx

We've had a lovely day thank you.  My niece is going to come z few times over the next few weeks for dinner. I can start being the auntie I want to be again. 

It's her mum's birthday on 1st if March so we are going to have a little party for the family on the Sunday before as we normally would and have dinner together on her actual birthday.  I also have 2 nephews from my sister so I want to make sure we stay close. My daughter and niece are like sisters.

I beg you are so happy to see your son. He will be a great comfort and help to you. Just  shame it's not better circumstances.  

You also have 2 lovely weeks together before treatment commences x lovely x 

Round 2 of brachytherapy.  

All was much the same as last week.  Had to answer the same questions as last week for 3 different people. Had to confirm my name and date of birth about 5 times too. 

Wasn't impressed when the anaesthetist went to canulate me and said hmm they're not very good veins are they. I hadn't drank since before midnight so they're bound not to be. Was fast asleep before I knew it though. 

When I woke up it was a bit more uncomfortable than last week but not too bad. After my mri I came back to the room and mentioned that it was uncomfortable on my bladder. The bag was empty so they got the consultant down but by this time it started filling. My bladder feels very full so I was given paracetamol  tgen a little later I had some morphine.  This was given in a fruity ish flavour medicine.  It's helped a little.  The nurse said it's probably that my bladder is irritated which can happen on the second treatment. 

I'm not wanting to drink in the hope that it will relieve the pressure  but I know I have to so I'm doing it. 

I finish just before 8am so just over 12 hours to go. 

I am dreaming of sitting on the toilet and having a wee. How sad!!!!!

Hi Philleepa I hope your not to uncomfortable so you can finish the last bit of your treatment and have a wee lol its amazing how the small things in life make us really happy after a diagnosis of CC. Im sure you will be an expert at Candy Crush when this is over i think it would be too stimulating for me and keep me awake. I will take wordsearch and crosswords and when i get stuck i can phone a friend lol Thanks for all your tips what snacks do you take my snack bag would be full of chocolate which wouldnt be good as i would go high then come down with a bang? Your nearly there Philleepa i am thinking about you you are an amazing woman sending you hugs xxxxx

I'm not too uncomfortable now thanks x I've asked the nurse to keep me topped up with the morphine whether I need it or not! 

It's just the constant feeling of needing to wee all the time. Still, less than 12 hours to go and hopefully I'll sleep for a good while.

I'm definitely playing candy crush too much. I've got my sudoku book too and my hubby bought me some magazines.  

My snacks are chocolate and crisps and cartons of ribena. It's got to be low fibre stuff so no fruit. 

Bit gutted cos my friend bought me a creme egg and I left it at home. I given myself till March 1st to eat rubbish then I have to be good!

The food here has been rubbish today but I'm hoping for toast at 1pm like last week.

We are all amazing, I couldn't have got through this without all the support from the fantastic ladies on here. Just writing my experience down has got me through this. I haven't discussed my treatment with my family,  friends or even my husband as I don't want to

If I don't tell people   it's like it hasn't happened if that makes sense.  Then I can just lock all this away in the back of my mind and throw away the key

I'll probably need counselling soon!!!!!

Well I'm done! Had a reasonably comfortable night. The nurses came in about 3 times to turn me and give me a back rub so I avoided pressure sores. 

I thought it might be painful taking everything out but it was just the same as last week. 

I'm just waiting now to go home at 11 ish but I think it'll be nearer to 12 by the time hubby picksme up. Have had breakfast,  toast and a brew and already drank nearly a jug full of water.  

I've got to get someone to walk to the loo with me the first time I go.

I've also been given another box of fybogel and loperimide to take home. At least I know I'm covered in all eventualities 

Philleepa yeah your finished your treatment in one piece I am over the moon for you. Im sure it feels great to be able to move about again and you can sneeze without worrying you blew the rods across the room lol I  know you will continue to stay strong & recover rest plenty when you get home to help get your strength back I will be thinking about you Sending you Bear Hugs xxxxxxxxxx