Blood during smear test - feeling anxious

Hello,

I'm new here and looking for some advice.

In 2012, I was referred for a Colposcopy as I was bleeding and finding sex painful.  I was told I had cervical erosion.  The following year I was 'spotting' and the doctor diagnosed me with a UTI.  This happened quite a few times and eventually I was referred for a Cystoscopy, during which they found no abnormalities.

In the last 6months I've started 'spotting' again.  Again I was tested for UTI's which came back clear.  I made another appointment with the doctor this morning to get checked out.  I couldnt remember when I last had a smear and was then told that it was back in 2011.  I should have had a smear test last year but as I didn't receive the letter telling me this the doctor assumes it was lost in the post.  So she offered to give me a smear test then and there.

However, I knew the instant she inserted the speculum that there was something wrong.  It was very painful and I could also tell by the look on the doctor's face that something was not right.  She told me that there was quite a bit of blood, and in the end she had to use about 4 brushes.  She also had a feel inside & said she couldn't feel a mass. 

I won't get my smear test results for a few weeks but in the meantime have been referred back for a colposcopy.  I was quite worried to begin with as I seem have recurring problems, but the amount of blood during the smear was unexpected and has made it ten times worse. 

I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar? Or had any advice?

Thanks

G

I just had a smear and I bled a bit.  My doc says that can happen normally.  

From what I've read cervical erosion can cause irregular bleeding.  It might well be that.  I'd try to see it as a good thing that you're going to get checked out as it's clearly on your mind, but try not to expect the worst.  I'm sure there's lots of possible explanations.

The colp clinic will look after you x

I had a cervical erosion and it caused bleeding.  Do you have periods?  There are many, many reasons for bleeding.  I had a hormone imbalance and bled on and off so much, at times it was so bad I could not move off the toilet.  Waiting for results is the pits, but remember that there are dozens of reasons for bleeding and only one of them is cancer.

Hugs

Thanks for your replies! I'm trying not to freak out, but the blood & the doctor's facial expression making it very difficult :( 

I've been on the pill for about 9 years & no problems with period. Just the occasional spotting between periods & then all the blood from the smear. 

Hope all is well 

Gx

Hi Georgina :-)

How long do you have to wait for your colposcopy? I'm sure they will be able to answer any concerns you have there.

Be lucky

Tivoli