Bleeding after LEEP procedure

Hi guys, 

I had a colposcopy that resulted in having the LEEP procedure on 23rd December. I am still bleeding since having the treatment. I have been taking the mini pill for over a year so have not had a period in that time. Can the procedure bring on a period even if you are taking the mini pill? I am trying to determine if the bleeding is from having a period or from having the procedure. I'm experiencing a light to medium flow and I would have thought that as the procedure was 2 and a half weeks ago, that any bleeding resulting from that would have stopped by now. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Hi! I started bleeding about a week after the procedure and then I had my period 2 weeks later, and all bleeding stopped after that. 

they say you can expect to bleed on and off for 4 weeks post procedure and longer in some cases, so what you are experiencing sounds pretty normal :)

Hi Raychel,

I had my LLETZ same day as you and I'm also still bleeding - light to medium flow for the past 5 days but was heavy before that. I had the coil for 2 years and it was removed at the same time as the LLETZ.

I haven't found the answer to the question you ask as it's crossed my mind too but I truly believe having my coil removed plus the treatment brought on a period, especially due to the cramps. 

However you can bleed up to 4 weeks after the treatment and there are lots of others that complain of the cramps that didn't have a coil removed so perhaps this is normal! 

I have read that your first ACTUAL period after LLETZ  could be longer, heavier than usual (for those with 'normal' periods that is/not on contraception).

I don't think we have anything to worry about unless we are going through more than one pad an hour or if it smells.

Hope this helps x

Hi Raychel,

Just wondering how you are getting on and if your spotting has stopped?

I had LLETZ 3 months ago & have had spotting ever since. I’m also on the mini pill & hadn’t had a period or any bleeding in 3 years before this. Considering a break from the pill to see if it will help as it’s really getting me down!

Best wishes
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

My bleeding has now thankfully stopped although I must have bled for about 6 weeks after the procedure, which is longer than what it is supposed to.

I was close to seeking medical advice at the time and then it stopped. Maybe you should have a chat with a GP just for peace of mind. I hope it stops soon, fingers crossed for you.

I’m so sorry that I’ve only just seen your response. I wasn’t notified of it. Thank you for taking time out to answer my question. Thankfully the bleeding stopped after about 6 weeks.
Thanks again.

Hi Raychel,

I literally only posted yesterday, so no delay :blush:

So glad that you’re better now. I spoke to the colposcopy nurse who just said “your periods can change”, but maybe time to try my GP?

All the best,
Sarah