Biopsy results GCIN

So I received my biopsy results. It hasn’t really given me the reassurance I was hoping for and has really left me with more questions. The letter says that I have GCIN rather than CIN. The doctor wants to perform a hystercoscopy under a general to treat the lining of the womb and take an endometrial sample. I am absolutely terrified. The letter does say he is not concerned this is anything sinister but I was also told at the colposcopy he wasn’t worried and the biopsy was just a precaution. I’m also thinking how does he know if these changes are further up. Has anyone else been through this? I’ve never had a general either so I’m nervous about that.

Hi Lynnie,

Sorry to hear your results are so confusing. I think you’ll find it’s CGIN, not GCIN - and if you search on this forum for CGIN you’ll find posts from other people who have had this result.

It means that the abnormal cells are not squamous cells (CIN) but glandular cells, which are higher up in the cervix towards the uterus, and if they are not treated MIGHT become adenocarcinomas. This is a different type of (fast moving) cervical cancer, so it sounds like your physician wants to make absolutely sure they have checked everything and how to best treat you.

Try not to be scared of the ‘General’ (GA) - it simply means you’ll be asleep before you know it and there will be no discomfort or pain with the procedure. It’s all for your good.

If you have not Googled and want to know any more about CGIN cells, this is a nice site: https://healthtalk.org/cervical-abnormalities-cin3-and-cgin/what-is-cgin

X

1 Like

Thank you for replying. I managed to speak to my consultant today although he didn’t really help to reduce my anxieties. I asked if this was definitely not cancer and he said he wished he could say that for sure but this is why he was doing the hystercoscopy. Basically the biopsy he took was very small so he needs to do further investigations to be certain of the grading. He then went on to say no doctor can give 100% guarantees which I understand.

Try not to worry unduly - console yourself that you have an honest doctor! He can never say he’s sure that you don’t have any problems, only that he’s going to make sure he rules them out. This is really good. Overconfidence in the medical profession may seem reassuring, but it can actually be a long term problem (see my back story!). Fingers crossed all will be well, and you can be reassured that a thorough check has taken place. X