Been with partner 6 years HPV positive result

Hi there, 

I went for a cervical screening. Been sent a letter diagnosing me with HPV and abnormal cells. Been asked to go back for a colposcopy.

I must of had HPV for 6 years or more. I’ve been with my partner for 6 years and no one else. I recently have had abnormal bleeding between periods and my periods have changed. Instead of having sore boobs a week before my period it’s now 2 weeks. And I usually get spotting a couple of days before period now it’s changed to two weeks before, I sometimes having painful sex with certain positions and I informed the nurse but she said it may be due to my partners size. I thought the changes to my period was due to my age but now having the results back I’m worried. 

Can I please have some information about how likely is it to get cervical cancer if you have had HPV for 6 years or more? 

Many thanks, 

Justine 

Hi

I'm not an expert but here are some of my thoughts. HPV is a tricky thing and one of it's features is that it can lie dormant in the body for many years (based on my own experience I think it could be decades) in which state it is not detectable with testing and should not cause any cervical cell changes.  The key thing is how long the virus has been active during which time it is detectable with testing and may cause cervical cell abnormalities.    So I don't think there can be a reliable answer to your question - maybe your HPV has only been active for a short while or maybe longer. 

Whilst it's true that having an HPV positive result gives you a risk for cervical cancer the chances that you will get an invasive cervical cancer, which requires a lot of life changing treatment or is incureable, is extremely small especially if you always keep up to date with cervical screening. In the UK, every year there are about 30,000 women diagnosed with microscopic non-invasive cervical cancer and the treatment for that is relatively simple and very successful.  For invasive cervical cancer the numbers are much smaller - in the region of 3,000 women a year in the UK, and generally speaking the more advanced cancers (requiring radiotherapy or complex chemotherapy treatment) will be in women who have not kept up to date with screening - unfortunately I am one of those women.  To get some perspective of numbers I believe there are about 15 million women in the UK who are eligible for cervical screening.

Hope this helps a bit?

Hey jazza, 

really appreciate the reply.

the information has been very helpful I understand it a bit more. 

justine x