Awaiting results! May sound crazy in description

I eventually got my smear test when I turned 20 years old, however it was at the hospital and they used a microscope thing with like acid or something in my cervix, and she said she could see abnormal cells on my cervix. Instantly I worried about this as if she could see them, it must be bad! She then proceeded to take a biopsy, she said everything is okay but I have slightly abnormal cells so she wanted to check them out! But I'm worried that she took the biopsy because I thought you only got that done f they had the concerns of you possibly having cancer! Now this was a month ago exactly and I've still heard nothing back, not sure if that's good or bad! But I really just can't calm down, all I've done is panic, worry that I have cancer. Worried that my life's over before it's even fully started! I'm terrified! No one has told me anything and they knew I was an anxious person! Why do I have abnormal results?! Is it common? It's all these horror stories you hear of young girls like 20 years old finding out they have it and it's terminal! I'm terrified incase my results come back and confirm my worst nightmare!! At the appointment the women said to me not to worry, as they were only slightly abnormal and on a scale from normal to cancerous, mine were only a few cm above normal! But just this whole biopsy thing, if she thought they were only slightly abnormal, I don't understand why she would take a biopsy. I feel like they are hiding things from me and didn't want to panic me straight away. Please help?! I am so so scared. Barely been able to sleep! Then I have a mole that's feeling a little scabby, could be ive caught it on something but then I'm worrying it's skin cancer and that's came from the cancer in my cervix and so on. I making myself Ill :(

Hi, 

Try not to worry! Cervical cancer is very rare, and from what you've said your consultant said it looked like you just had abnormalities. Abnormal results are common, most women heal themselves Over time and the hospital like to keep an eye on it. Some  might  require treatment but this is not Cancer. It is just precancerous cells that are better to have taken out.

There is lots of information on here which will do a much better job at explaining it than I am. Usually the rule with results is, the longer you wait for results the better the news is, but I would ring the hospital if you're worried and theu might be able to give you your results over the phone. 

stay positive and keep busy to take your mind off it! :) 

• Thankyou so much!! I really appreciate how quickly you responded to me! I just worry so much, have anxiety!! Annoy myself at times, just because I'm 20 and I keep hearing horror stories of young people getting it! But Thankyou for giving me some positive words! I suppose that's true, if they found anything worrying they wouldn't wait the exact amount of weeks they said to let me know, they would have told me straight away!bi need to try chill out

Hello Ashley :-)

I am so sorry to hear what a scary time you are having, let me try to help a little. OK, so first off the woman doing your smear test told you she could see some abnormality, this doesn't mean it has to be serious. Just like if you can see a pimple on someone's face, it's only a pimple, it's not serious but it is visible. OK? When she took the biopsy that was to test exactly what sort of 'pimple' she could see. There are lots of different possible things it could be and it's only by taking a little bit away to put under a microscope to see more closely that they can tell exactly what it is.

I understand that most people are told to expect to get their results back in 4 - 6 weeks, an agonisingly long time I know, I guess they are maybe getting more than one person to check the results to see that they agree, but I don't know, that's just a guess. So, now that you have waited patiently for four weeks, why don't you give your doctor a call to see if it can be hurried up a little and your results aren't just sitting on somebody's desk somewhere.

Now then, where did all these stories of women as young as 20 being told they have terminal cancer come from? I haven't heard them, not a single one. Doctors do not try to hide facts from you, they try to tell you precisely what situation you are in. They don't like to cause unnecessary worry and neither do they like to paint a prettier picture than the truth, but they won't try hiding anything serious in the hope that you go away and forget about it. OK?

Finally, cervical cancer comes only from the cervix, you can't have some other cancer that then spreads to the cervix. Cervical cancer can spread to other places, though I have never heard of it spreading to the skin. The woman who did your smear test said that your cell changes were mild. This means that you are extremely unlikely to have cancer and it's even less likely to have spread anywhere.

Be lucky

Tivoli

Hiya,

I understand your panic because you sound in a similar situation to me - my smear came back with HPV 16 and CIN 1, and when I went for my colposcopy last week, the doctor saw CIN 2 and then decided to take a biopsy. Over the weekend I was panicking, thinking he must have taken the biopsy because he suspected cancer. I worked myself up into such a state that I asked for the doctor to call me today (see my post "CIN 2, biopsy taken, panicking & worried") and he reassured me that the reason he took the bisopy is because he wasn't certain what stage of CIN I have and "because I'm young and healthy he wants to wait and see what the biopsy confirms that I have before he decides the best course of action." He went on to explain that sometimes CIN 1 requires no treatment and just monitoring because chances are it can go away by itself. So perhaps the doctor you saw is also doing the same thing, and just making sure not to give you treatment where you may not need it. Try not to panic and imagine the worst case scenario - easier said that done I know.

x

-
Aug 2013 - turned 25, clear smear result

Jan 2015 - smear taken as part of routine 'full body' health check-up. Results show HPV 16 - high risk, and CIN 1 confirmed

Jan 2015 - colposcopy, CIN 2 confirmed, biopsy taken. Awaiting biopsy results

Hi!! Thankyou everyone for your responses, means a lot!! I hope my results are nothing! Panicking though, because I thought your results get posted out to you! And they only phone you if they have found something! Well I've got an alert saying I missed calls from the hospital, phoned them back but the women that phone is on her break now! So I'm in a state, worrying and crying etc! I'm expecting bad news now because they've phoned! And I was told by someone that they would only phone if they had found something! Any help would be appreciated 

Hi Ashley,

Hopefully by now the hospital have called back and put your mind at ease and it wasn't bad news? By what you said in your first post it sounds like there wasn't anything too abnormal, so perhaps they were just calling to update you as they knew you had been quite panicked? It's easy to think the worst but hopefully it was good news.

x

-

Aug 2013 - turned 25, clear smear result

Jan 2015 - smear taken as part of routine 'full body' health check-up. Results show HPV 16 - high risk, and CIN 1 confirmed

Jan 2015 - colposcopy, CIN 2 confirmed, biopsy taken. Awaiting biopsy results