Atypical Squamous Cells-Cannot Exclude HSIL

**Forgive me if my medical jargon is lacking**

I am a 28 year old woman, and I have had regular pap tests since I was 18, all of which have come back with normal results with the exception of the most recent one. The doctor's office contacted me yesterday afternoon to inform me that my results showed atypical squamous cells and cannot rule out high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (HSIL) without further evaluation, so I am being referred for a colposcopy. 

So after researching what this all meant, I have calmed myself down and have learned that these results are not terribly uncommon. The presence of HSIL would not necessarily mean that I have cervical cancer, but without necessary treatment it could progress to this. It's certainly not good news, but its not a death sentence. 

My pap prior to this one was almost 2 years ago, at which time all was normal and I went on my merry way. I understand that it can take 10-15 years for cervical cells to transform into abnormal cells and then into cancer, but my question is: how long does it take for the latter half of that process to occur? for abnormal cells to progress into cancer? What I'm curious about is the time span for the advancement of dysplasia? From CIN I to CIN II to CIN III to carcinoma? Not even two years ago I had perfectly normal cervical cells that have now potentially transformed into the more advanced stages of squamous cell abnormalities. 

My next question is: what are other possibilities for abnormal squamous cells if HSIL can be ruled out? 

Again, I'm a 28 year old woman, I am sexually active in a monogamous relationship, and have never been pregnant. I've been to hell and back with hormonal oral contraceptives. I took Diane 35 for about 8 years, then stopped for a few months until I decided to try another birth control, Alesse, which destroyed my face with acne, so I switched back to Diane 35, quickly realized how much better I felt not being on Diane, didn't want to experiment with any more hormonal shock therapy so I opted for the copper IUD which I had inserted last month. 

I've never had the HPV vaccination, I've been a nonsmoker for about 5 months now, prior to that I smoked about 2 packs/week for close to 10 years. I have no history of STIs. I had a simultaneous STI screen at my last pap which came back negative so that rules out any possible inflammation due to an infection. 

Any information, answers, tips, similar experiences, or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello :). The stats on how long it takes to progress are a little bit non existent according to my oncologist. Especially how long it takes for cin3 to progress to cancer because in order to know that they would have to let the cells of someone who has cin3 develop in to cancer to determine how long it takes and this is obviously very unethical. What they do know is cin1 will often revert back to normal on its own, cin2 and cin3 are generally always treated because they have the potential to develop in to cancer if left untreated. I was told research suggests it takes 6-8 years for abnormal cells to develop in to cancer. I'm afraid I don't know anything about HSIL so can't really advise there but hopefully someone else will be along who can. Write a list of questions for your colposcopy appointment and ask them beforehand, or even ring your GP back, mine has certainly been happy to answer anything she can. Try not to worry, if you've had regular smears it's incredibly unlikely that it will have turned in to anything sinister and that's exactly why we have these smears to catch abnormal cells before they have a chance to become a problem. Xxx

I know this is a really old post, but I have asc-h as well. Going for a leep soon. How did you turn out?