Hi all - am new here though have been a member for a while due to ongoing issues.
Just got back from having my colposcopy and now am freaking out a bit.
Some background.....Had a copper coil fitted around August of last year.
Afterwards experienced some horrible dark bleeding - so went back to GP who
took a look, said she didn't think was infection but took swabs anyway to be sure.
Few days later get a call to say had got an infection and prescribed antibiotics (which
I ended up having a bad allergic reaction to though never had problems with anti b's
After taking a different course of anti b's - still didn't feel quite right and was still getting
horrible bleeding/discharge but put it down to coil settling down. Because I also had a new
partner....to be on safe side I decided to go to the GUM clinic to get checked out. Also I
felt that they may be more experienced at looking at this type of thing. All the tests came
back clear - but the nurse wasn't happy with an area on my cervix. She then did a smear test.
Cut to a few weeks later as hadn't had result back - chased them up and they said the hospital
had refused to read the smear as I was not due to have one! Nurse was still not happy so she
referred to to have a colposcopy - this was around the end of October last year.
At the colposcopy they took punch biopsies and said I had a blocked hair folicle. Waited for ages
to get the result back from the biopsies (was at least 8 weeks) so didn't really worry too much as
thought no news must be good news?
When I had the colposcopy I don't think it was with a consultant - I think was just nurses?
In April had an appointment to see consultant - he said had area of warts and the blocked hair folicle
and he advised me to have them removed under GA.
Had the op in June.....when I came round they told me the warts had gone so all they did was remove the folicle.
Had a follow up letter saying they'd removed a large NP, they hadn't needed to remove warts as had gone
by themselves and to I was to have smear as scheduled in September.
Had smear test about 2 weeks ago which came back with high grade dyskaryosis - was booked to have
colposcopy last Wednesday but was at heaviest point in period so changed the appointment to today.
Saw the consultant - he was actually the same consultant who removed CIN2 cells when I was 21 - i'm now
44 so that was quite strange......anyway - he asked if I was okay with being treated there and then which
I was.......he had a look and said the area was too large to be treated today and that I would have to have
it done at a larger hospital under GA about 20 miles away.
He then gave me a local and took biopsies using the LLEZT (was quite uncomfortable)
So I guess now is just a waiting game. I am really worried - but am thinking that surely if was anything
serious they would have picked it up before now?
How long does it take to get results? As said it took an age last time and will drive me bonkers going
through that again. I had to chase the results last time - it was almost like i'd gotten lost in the
system due to me being referred rather than it being through a smear test result.
Has anyone else had an area too large to be dealt with there and then?
Sorry if i've rambled on - just wanted to give a clear picture of how this all came about.