Any advice welcome :)

Hi all, I am 26 and have just had my first smear test a few weeks ago. I was pregnant when I turned 25 so had to wait until 12 weeks after giving birth to have smear. My results came back saying high grade abnormalities and I was referred for a colposcopy within 2 weeks. I went for my colposcopy on Tuesday and the consultant didn't really explain anything to me, was quite blunt and just said it doesn't look good as soon as she looked at my cervix. She said there is too much too remove with lletz under local anaesthetic so I have to go in for general anaesthetic on the 3rd Sept. I was in such a state of shock I couldn't get my brain in gear to think of  what I wanted to ask and know. The only thing I managed to ask was if it could be cancerous, which the consultant replied, yes it could be but she can't tell me anymore until I have had the procedure and biopsy results back. The whole thing seems a blur now and I'm going out of my mind with worry! I don't know if this is quite common to have to have the letz under general anaesthetic or not. I don't understand how bad they think it could be, they haven't explained anything to me. Any advice would be great :)

Hi Nikki,

you poor, poor thing. I totally feel for you as the consultant I saw was also very blunt and didn't do anything to put me at ease. She just kept saying that I needed 'urgent' treatment, urgent ultrasounds' and they would rush the results through. I have/had CIN3 and CGIN. I asked if it could be cancer and she said 'it could be but it's microscopic so need to send off the biopsy. I convinced myself it was cancer. But the results came back clear of any malignancy. I think they have to explain all possibilities. I had my Lletz under local anaesthetic but she did say she would normall do it under GA because of the area she covered and the ring biopsy. 

i hope everything works out for you Hun. Lete know how you get on. When is your next appointment? Xx

Thanks so much for your reply and kind words. Had reassured me a little :) I go in for lletz & biopsy under general on the 3rd sept. so will let you know how I get on. Got everything crossed for the best possible out come xx