Anxious about Colposcopy

This is my first post on here.

I’m 26yrs and for the last 3 years, I’ve had a positive result of HPV from my smears. Due to these results, I’ve been told that I need to have a Colposcopy. I’ve been given an appointment however I am so anxious about what this will mean.

Has anyone been in this situation or have any advice or words of wisdom to calm my mind?

Hi Keeley,

I was in a similar position to you. I’m almost 25, had my first smear in September, it came back HPV positive with low grade abnormal cells.

I had my colposcopy this morning and was so so anxious about it, crying before I even got in the room. I had two nurses and the doctor in the room and they were so lovely and knew I was anxious.

My advice would be

• Explain your concerns to them e.g. I found my smear a bit painful so asked them to use a smaller speculum this time which they did and it helped a lot
  • Take some ibuprofen or paracetamol before you go in
  • Bring someone with you, I had my mum holding my hand which helped a lot
  • You could ask to listen to music or a podcast, that might help distract you

The procedure itself ended up being nowhere near as bad as I’d imagined it/read online. Using a smaller speculum meant that bit hurt less than my smear. They swabbed my cervix with the liquid which felt weird as you’re not used to having something in there but it didn’t sting like I’ve read it can. Honestly the speculum was inside me for less than 5minutes total. They didn’t end up needing a biopsy but if they do I’ve read you can request for your cervix to be numbed.

Afterwards the doctor confirmed that I do have low grade abnormal cells but said they often clear up on their own as I’m young and healthy and had the HPV vaccines in school. She suggested taking Vitamin C and Zinc supplements to try and boost my immune system and help me clear it up and referred me to have another smear in a years time.

I am a massive wimp when it comes to anything like this but it honestly wasn’t too bad and remind yourself it’s 5-10minutes of mild pain/discomfort for the peace of mind. So far I don’t even have cramps, my vagina’s just a little bit stingy but not painful at all.

Hope it goes well and hope I’ve reassured you a bit. :smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you so much for replying to my post! You’ve definitely made me feel a lot calmer about having one so just fingers crossed everything goes okay on the day!

Hope it all clears up for you too!:relaxed:

1 Like