Am I paranoid, or is it time for a second opinion?

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, has been my source of 'don't google and freak out' information so I truly appreciate everything that you ladies have shared here. 

I had my smear done after not having one done for I think at least 3 years. This was back in Nov 2011. I got a call from my GP saying I need to see an obgyn to get a colposcopy done, which was scheduled Jan 2012 ( I pushed it back due to the holidays, had I known what a colposcopy meant I probably would've treated it more seriously ). That came back as Cin III, and LEEP was scheduled almost immediately. My follow up appointment, the doctor nonchalantly told me that they didn't get it all ( I guess the margins weren't clear? ), but will continue to monitor with a smear every 3 months ( is this normal??? I'm in Canada so I don't know if the procedures are a bit different here ). Problem with me is before I go in to see the doc I have all these questions, but then shy away once I'm actually talking to her. I just assumed that having it monitored ain't a bad thing, as I didn't want to go through the LEEP again. 

So the next few months were of me occassionally getting pelvic pains and back pains. I mentioned this to her during one of our appointments and she sent me to an internal and external scan. Both came back clear. 

I was scheduled for my 4th smear a month ago and I told her that in 2 occassions I bled a tiny bit during sex with my husband. She took a look at it and said, " hmm... it looks friable as well". I don't believe she's mentioned that before, and she also commented that she's seeing a discharge, and she took some tests for it. I had been to the ER 2 weeks prior to that as I had been cramping as bit, but as the doc was on vacation I decided to get it checked out by the ER doc ( which was a training doc that had to take directions from the nurse, to check for infection as she's seeing discharge as well ). I also mentioned that the ER doc just said, without even waiting for the tests to come back, that it's likely chlamydia or gonorrhea and I said my husband and I have been together 11 years and there's no question on fidelity for either of us. I left, disbelief of their quick conclusion. He said if the test came back positive I'd get a call as Chlamydia and gonorrhea is a 'registrable disease' in Canada so I'll be on record as having it. I never got that call. 

So today, I called the doctor's office and she said the infection tests AND the smear tests both came out clear, but if I wanted a follow-up appointment with the doc I can schedule one. I did. 

Also, today I started my period and it's been so painful ( I rarely cramp ), that at one point at work I thought I was miscarrying ( or something ) cos' it almost felt like contractions.... Took some extra strength advils, sipped on ginger tea and that went away into a dull cramp. Bearable, but still very annoying and worrying. My back pain has also been persistent the past 2 months now. My discharge have gotten VERY smelly. Constipation's been a pain in the behind as well. It could be a slew of other day-to-day thing ( not enough fibre re constipation?!?! ), but flip the coin and I wonder if there's more to it than that...

I don't want to be paranoid, but I'm just worried that the smear has missed something? I've read here and elsewhere that sometimes they can be a bit 'higher up'? I'm thinking of getting a second opinion, or at least going back to my GP and looping her in on things. My mom died from leukemia that was diagnosed too late ( she was always the one to put off seeing the doc ) and I'm telling myself not to let that happen to me. Yet at the same time I don't want to be a worry-wart. arrgghhh... :(

Thanks for letting me rant... :(

Rina

Hi Rina,

I'd say that there are lots of things that can cause these kinds of symptoms, but they are obviously causing you distresss. Right now, you don't have any diagnosis at all so whatever it is, it would seem sensible to try to get to the bottom of it. At the very least, it might be worth having a conversatin with your doctor to explain your fears and talk through the results of the tests so far.

Before you go to the appointment, take some time and write down your questions and your concerns. When you are in the meeting, take notes of what they say. Get them to spell things if necessary - when you are stressed, things don't stick in the brain properlly

It's easy to say, but do try not to worry about or predict the outcome of all this. You could make yourself very stresssed and unhappy and that would only make you feel worse.

Good luck! Kiss