Ahcc

Hi all, latest development in my googling is related to a supplement called ahcc! It's a shiitake mushroom extract and been around as an immune supplement for a while. There's been a recent few trials which suggest it could be useful in fight against hpv. Has anyone heard of it or had any experience? xx

Hi there,

I'm very familar with AHCC. My smear test back in November 2014 was mildly abnormal so despite it's ridiculous price I purchased Kinoko Gold AHCC and took it religiously for 6 months. My repeat smear in May was also abnormal so I had Colposcopy and LLETZ. My result from the LLETZ was CIN III completely removed with clear margins (yeh!).

So for me, taking the AHCC made no difference but I do know it's proved successful for others. I no longer take AHCC but take a Turkey Tail (Trametes Versicolor) supplement instead (among many other supplements). Turkey Tail mushroom has been used in Chinese medicine for centuries and for me personally I would prefer it to AHCC.

Hope this helps x

Thanks for your reply. Have looked into Turkey tail mushrooms since your post and it does seem cheaper! Do you take the supplements or the powder? It's definitely something I would like to try. I suppose it's one of those things that you don't know if it really helps but at least I would feel like I was doing something! X

Hi again,

I take Turkey Tail supplements not the powder. I also take Tumeric and Green Tea supplements as well as DIM (was previously taking Indole 3 Carbinol but switched to DIM after much research).

I'm glad I had the LLETZ and am delighted everything was removed with clear margins but taking supplements along with a very healthy diet (I've cut out dairy, no longer drink coffee only green tea and eat mountains of cruciferous vegetables daily in addition to 2 green juices packed with spinach) makes me feel like I'm actually doing something to help ensure I have a clear smear and am HPV negative at my 6 month check the beginning of December.

If there's anything else you want to know just ask but in the meantime good luck with your LLETZ result.

Much love

Peanut x

Hiya

Thank you for sharing this information - I spent a long time googling and researching and I am taking turmeric also, plus selenium, zinc and calcium. I am also going for some acupuncture over the next few weeks (I just want to do anything at all that I can which may help..) I will have a look into the supplements you both mentioned too :)
I'm also making smoothies everyday with spinach and lot's of other fresh fruit and veg, trying to up my vitamin intake. Desperately trying to cut out alcohol (haven't had a drink yet..) and sugar which I'm finding a little harder (huge chocolate cravings - especially whilst feeling so low.)
I hate not being able to exercise too, not ideal. I'm concerned that my stress levels being through the roof won't be good for my health but that's a hard one whilst waiting for results.
xXx

Aug 2013 - turned 25, clear smear result
Jan 2015 - smear taken as part of routine 'full body' health check-up - results show HPV 16 high risk, and CIN 1 confirmed
Jan 2015 - colposcopy, CIN 2 confirmed, biopsy taken - results inconclusive, return in 6 months for another colposcopy
July 2015 - 6 mth repeat colposcopy - abnormal cells seen, biopsy taken, and smear
July 2015 - smear results show HPV 16 moderate changes, biopsy result inconclusive (again) - lletz carried out. 
Awaiting results, due in 2 weeks