Hi all,

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this... I've been diagnosed with 1A1 cervical cancer, very small, and met my consultant today to discuss treatment options. I'm 39 and childless so they're offering two options as follows: 1. Another LLETZ which may get it all, I'd have to wait a few weeks to see if margins came back clear. If that happened, then regular monitoring but no guarantee that it wouldn't come back. 2. A simple hysterectomy via robotic keyhole surgery. Now I have to decide what to do... They won't recommend either option above the other. So many pros and cons. Doctor concerned about my fertility, but until they started questioning me so much about it, I had more or less made up my mind that I wouldn't have kids at this stage of my life anyway. I asked what they'd recommend if I had completed my family, and doc said hysterectomy. My GP also says go with hysterectomy. I'm afraid that if I go with the LLETZ I'm only delaying the inevitable and allowing this cancer to do possibly do more damage to my body but at the same time I don't want to have major surgery that might be unnecesary. I know I have to make this decision myself, but would be interested to hear any advice. Yell

What a difficult decision to have to make. Unfortunately my cancer was much more advanced when diagnosed so I wasn't given any choices. I'm 34 and don't have children, I struggle with the fact that the opportunity for a family of my own has so cruelly been taken from me. These things are very individual and if you really don't want children then maybe a hysterectomy is best. However if you decide to go with the LLETZ then you can be assured that they will keep a very close eye on things.

All the best in making your decision.

Rachel x

It's easy for me to say what I think I would do in your shoes, but I'm not wearing your shoes. Having had a radical hysterectomy at age 50, through the abdomen, nasty scar, I think I would go down the less invasive LLETZ route with a close eye being kept on developments. I also think, that if it were to return, I'd go down the chemo-rads route in preference to a radical hysterectomy. I suppose I am really quite anti the more-surgery-than-absolutely-necessary tactic.

Be lucky :-)

I had early 1a1 and had a lletz, they got clear margins but then had another (just to be sure)

This came back all clear. I have just had my 1 year check up ..... all clear x