Advice/Support

Hi Guys, 

So I'm 24 years old and today I went for my first smear test, during the smear I bled quite heavily, the nurse asked a male doctor to come in and examine my cervix, she had to use a swab to clean up the blood he literally looked for 10 seconds and took the nurse out of the room to speak to her, they then both came back in and said they were going to put me on an urgent 2 week referal. 

The nurse made the referal for me and then asked me to go speak to the doctor I did and he said the word cancer is going to be thrown around a lot over the next few weeks but that doesn't necesarily mean it is cancer. I was asked a lot of questions about discomfort and pain during sex, I have a little bit on entering but always thought this was because my partner is rather large (sorry for the too much information).  I have no bleeding but have experienced some pain in my left side. 

My appointment was at 10am this morning and I havent been able to stop worrying since, he said that just because a referal is made doesnt necessarily mean it is cancer but was honest saying that he was concered. Secondly I feel stuck and stressed discussing this with my family as we recently lost my nephew aged 6 to cancer so I don't want to worry them unnecessarily but inside i'm terrified. 

In summary I am just looking for some support in terms of what to expect next, what are normal symptoms, has anyone been diagnosed from a smear without any symptoms. 

Thankyou (in advance) for any help/support. 

Aimee x 

Hi Aimee,

Sorry to hear that, its such a worry.

I had slightly different symptoms to you and was called in for what I thought was a routine operation to be told on inspection it 'might' be cancer. So naturally I freaked out and thought the worst, especially as I knew so little about hpv and CIN. I had light bleeding after sex but no pain. Like you they acted fast and called me in for a Loop and then  Lletz procedure to remove the problem cells to prevent them from spreading/ getting worse. For me it turned out to be CIN 3 which is not cancer and everything has been preventative treatment.

I think the fact they are getting you in asap is a good thing and the less waiting the better as it is such a stress and worry. In my experience they seem to do the least invasive procedure and it's been a step by step process.

Hopefully you'll get more information soon and it helps to read up trusted info on this site so you can ask any questions you might have. It's hard not to focus on cancer once it's been mentioned but try and stay positive.

I didn't tell my family much at first as I was finding it hard to process and even now I keep some stuff back as it's easier for me to cope. I did speak to a couple of close friends because otherwise I think you just eat yourself up inside with worry And you do need that support. 

Fingers crossed for you x

Hi, 

Thankyou so much for your response, although I'm still worried it may be cancer (however i'm guessing most people on this site have felt this worry) I do feel slightly more reassured that it could just be precautionary treatment. I guess only time will tell. 

What actually happens at a colpscopy it it essentially just the same as the smear but using different equipment to check the cervix). 

Thanks 

Aimee 

Hello, 

Colposcopy is very similar to a smear and usually involves your consultant plus one to two lovely ladies to support and distract you. It is a bit uncomfortable but take a deep breath and remember to relax and it will all be over fairly quickly. 

I've had several local anaesthetic treatments this way including a biopsy or two and although a bit uncomfortable by far for me less worse than the worry.

I know it's easier said then done but really try to take it step by step and wait to hear the result as it's not always as bad as you imagine.

I completely understand the worry plus your recent family experience adds extra pressure. It's definitely a test of nerves! 

Try and be strong and think positive x 

Hello, 

Colposcopy is very similar to a smear and usually involves your consultant plus one to two lovely ladies to support and distract you. It is a bit uncomfortable but take a deep breath and remember to relax and it will all be over fairly quickly. 

I've had several local anaesthetic treatments this way including a biopsy or two and although a bit uncomfortable by far for me less worse than the worry.

I know it's easier said then done but really try to take it step by step and wait to hear the result as it's not always as bad as you imagine.

I completely understand the worry plus your recent family experience adds extra pressure. It's definitely a test of nerves! 

Try and be strong and think positive x 

Thankyou for the advice, 

I went back to work today as I'm a teacher and was on half term, it was quite nice to have something to distract me. I really appreciate all of your advice. 

Just have to wait and see now. 

Thanks

A