Advice about symptoms - spot bleeding

I am a bit worried and looking for some advice. I have had 5 smear tests over 8 years and in that time I have had two coloscopy procedures. For the first time in what seemed like forever my results came back normal last year. It’s been tough to deal with and for a few years I was afraid to have sex with my husband. He’s been my rock through it and don’t know what I would have done without him.

However recently I have noticed spot bleeding after sex. I am not due another test until 2018 but should I still go and speak to a doctor? This may sound daft but can I ask to see the nurse who carried out my smear screening as she was so supportive and understanding. My GP is male and I feel embarrassed to talk to him about it. Any reassurance and advice would be much appreciated.


Sorry to hear you have had such a tough few years. Yes, is the short answer, if there are any changes/unusual/new symptoms you should go and discuss it with your GP. And absolutely, make the appointment with the nurse if you would be more comfortable with her.

At my current medical practice, the GP's are all great so I'm happy to see whoever, but at my last one I found the GP's very unapproachable so, i always booked in with the nurses/nurse practitioners.

Good luck, hope it all turns out to be nothing!