Advice about mirena coil

Any advice appreciated! A few years ago I repeatedly tested positive for HPV. Had a coloscopy and results showed no concerns. Follow up smear negative for HPV so all good.

In the last few months I’ve had lots of in between bleeding so went to the GP. She mentioned she could see a cervial ectropion and wasn’t worried but would refer to a gynaecologist. NHS appointment came through for end of Feb next year. As I have private medical insurance through work I booked an earlier appointment.

At the first appointment the gynaecologist agreed with GP but referred me for an ultrasound. At this appointment I was told there are polyps and my lining was too thick.

Gynaecologist has now booked in a hysteroscopy to remove the polyps and take biopsies. She also recommended having a mirena coil to reduce the lining thickness. I dont need a coil for contraception as my husband has had a vasectomy, partly due to me not getting on with the pill. I’m not keen on the coil due to hormones and horror stories about getting it removed if its causing issues. Not sure if I should agree but feel I should wait for the biopsy results first. Has anyone else had a similar experience??

Hiya, I just wanted to reassure you about the Mirena coil. I’m on my second one which I’ve had in for a couple of years and can honestly say I’ve never had a problem with them. My first one was removed no problem at all. The first time I found the insertion more painful and had cramping for a few weeks but the second one i just had cramping for a few days.

It’s definitely not unreasonable to wait for the results of the biopsies before having a coil fitted (if that’s what you choose to do), sometimes it’s not fitted until the cervix heals after the biopsies anyway. If it was me I would discuss my concerns with the gynaecologist beforehand & they should be able to hopefully put your mind at rest. They can’t force you to have a Mirena coil fitted but if they really think it’s for the best for you then it would be worth seriously considering it. I know I said I had some pain having it fitted and cramps after but I wouldn’t hesitate to have another one fitted. Once the cramping settles down you don’t even know it’s there.

Keep us posted about how you get on :slight_smile:

I had surgery for a prolapse and when I said how bad my periods were they suggested the Mirena coil which they said would help. I was not in a relationship but thought why not, they put it in under general during surgery. I had 4 years of relief but did put on a little weight, when I had further surgery they replaced it and 5 years later I was in the menopause so bleeding stopped. The coil gave me 9 years of my life back and as I have depression, it made a massive difference, I made the most of it. I know some people have had issues but for me there were no problems and removal was easily done at my doctor’s.