Adenocarcinoma Stage3

So today I had my biopsy results from my colposcopy which shows I have adenocarcinoma, moderately differentiated. I have a 3cm tumour growing down from my cervix which has attached itself to my vaginal wall. It’s been provisionally staged at high stage 2, low stage 3. So no surgery, but chemo radiotherapy.
I’m still waiting for my MRI scan and PET scan. The nurse said I would need 18 weeks of chemo and radiation. This seems like a long time from the other treatment plans I have read.
I’m terrified about what the future holds for me.

Dear Helen,

So sorry to hear the news - we have a number of ladies on here who have adenocarcinoma. It is typically more resistant to treatment than Squamous cell - but your team will know what they are doing and be treating for cure. What horrible news, though. The 18 weeks chemo and radiotherapy doesn’t sound right wherever you’re from - are you in the UK, Helen? Your next step will be to have scans, and then you should see a ontological gynaecologist, who will be in charge of your treatment, and things explained properly then. Chemo is generally 5 weeks when combined with radiotherapy, which is normally 28 repetitions, 5 a week… What may be happening is because it’s adenocarcinoma your hospital may give you a course of a different chemo drug prior to the main combined treatment, to reduce the tumour before the main assault. This is all I can think of. The who thing may therefore take 18 weeks. You certainly won’t have 18 weeks of radiotherapy, there’s only so much we are allowed to be given.

Again, so sorry to hear it has come to this but you can beat it! There’s almost a sort of calm when you realise what the situation is, because you know you’ve just GOT to beat it, and you’ll do whatever it takes. We’re here with you. X

5 Likes

Thanks Jacks.

I’m pretty sure she said 18 weeks would entail 6 rounds of cycles, 3 weeks each (including a rest week). I’m now scared as to why I’m not having the same as everyone else…
I’ve read a lot of positive stories since I joined this forum so just clinging on to those really.
Thanks for replying X

So sorry to see your daughter has suffered with cancer although congratulations to both of you that she is now clear. This must be confusing and terrifying for you, having also just been through it all with your daughter. As you will read, treatment is usually very successful for a tumour like yours. Don’t worry too much about the detail of the treatment until you can talk to the consultant themselves, and get the results of the scan. Where are you based?

Thanks Jacks I really appreciate your quick replies.
We live in Shropshire so we’re under the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals. Can’t fault them whatsoever with their treatment of Tilly. Thank you for your reassurance about treatment. Xx

I’m glad your daughter was well looked after - they will do the same for you, I’m sure. It just feels so unfair to have been hit yourself after going through so much. Please keep us up to date with your news and what your treatment plan is, and we will be all rooting for you that this pesky C is kicked into the long grass pretty swiftly. Xx