Abnormal cells and immune suppressants

Hi,

I am looking for reassurance and advice.

In 2019, last smear test, came back borderline abnormal cells, no future action.

From what I have read, it is assumed that the immune system will resolve these cells, however I have a compromised immune system and have been on suppressants since 2002 so I don’t see how this will disappear.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and with what outcome.

My mum died of cervical cancer, and I have been getting pain in that area, and am being investigated, as I also have post menopausal bleeding and pain with sex now.

Hi Ragdoll,

It does sound, unfortunately, as if you might be one who had problems with the HPV virus, because of your compromised immune system. Did they say you had the HPV virus? In 2019 they would have tested for this. You can ask your GP to look up the report. I expect you want to know, and that if you have borderline changes this could be due to the virus.

Having the HPV virus and Borderline abnormal cells alone doesn’t mean you’ll get cancer, but I would be concerned if you have post menopausal bleeding and pain with sex. The first thing I knew that anything was wrong was when I had post menopausal bleeding. This is NOT normal. If your mum died of CC as well, please get in touch with the GP and ask for a colposcopy. My smear in 2017 was ‘clear’ but a colposcopy in 2019 showed cancer… Smear tests can be wrong, especially in my position - I had abnormal cells 20 years before, and had three ops to remove them. I thought it had gone, but it was just hidden by scar tissue and too deep in the cervix for the smear test to identify.

For you own peace of mind, and your wellbeing, ask to be thoroughly checked out. Xx

1 Like

I thought a coloscopy was to take cells from the uterus?
I had a subtotal hysterectomy in 2005 (extensive fibroids) and have no womb, but have cervix and ovaries etc.

Apologies thank you for replying to me.

Hi Ragdoll,

The colposcopy is to look at and biopsy (if wanted) the cervix and the neck of the womb, which is part of the cervix. If you do not have a womb, you certainly should not be bleeding as I can’t see where the blood would legitimately come from, unless you suffer from vaginal atrophy, and the tissues of the vagina are thin and fragile, in which case sex may be painful without enough lubricant and the tissues may occasionally tear. Worth investigating, certainly.

1 Like

Thank you, I will ask about the coloscopy. I have been booked for a 2ww consult which is tomorrow, so hopefully will get some answers.

It has been a rollercoaster this past week, but it has been escalated quickly.

Btw I use lubricants and vaginal moisturizer as I have always been dry previously