8 years clear

Hi. I got a lot of support on here when I was diagnosed with stage 1 around 8 years ago.
At the time my consultant suggested a hysterectomy in view of being 52. Having weighed up the options and being on my own with a teenager and not sure if I would receive full sick pay I declined and opted for cone treatment.
This week someone used a phrase to me “sniper Alley” which apparently means if you get from 50 to 60 without health concerns you will likely live to a ripe old age.
I had put this cancer behind me but now I’m thinking would I have been better to have had the hysterectomy and I have shortened my life expectancy or is it already shortened?
Ridiculous how something like this has set me off.
At 61 it could be anything can happen but this has stuck inmy mind.
Can anyone reassure me please?

4 Likes

Oh darling, you’ve already beaten cancer and made it through Sniper Alley. You’re 8 years clear and I would kill to be able to say that myself (I’m only 2 months clear). You’ve done amazing and these feelings are normal. You made the best decision at the time and have gone 8 years - celebrate!!

3 Likes

Hi,
I often wonder if I made the right choice (radical trachelectomy vs full hysterectomy), but I have try to remind myself to be kind. Making that choice at a very scary and difficult time was hard and fraught. I would encourage anyone who is having similar thoughts to try the same compassion.

As for shortening your life expectectancy - firstly life expectancy is a probability, not something definitive.
It is also incredibly complex to calculate, taking into account so many different factors from lifestyle, childhood, genetic makeup, particular combinations of these things, just to name a couple of things that MIGHT have an impact on your life. To say that ‘if you make it through your 50 and 60s with no major health concerns means you will live to an old age’ massively oversimplifies something that is looking at very general patterns in nationwide or even global populations. What this is actually saying is, 'on average people who do not have a major health concern (remember this includes diabetes, all cancer, heart disease and so on) by 50 or 60, live for longer. Within these populations you will get people with no health concerns at all who don’t live very long and those who are diagnosed with multiple conditions and live to 101. So really, it makes absolutely no difference to you and your unique circumstances.

Anyway I think the point is more about whether you feel comfortable with your treatment choice. I like to remember that having treatment had a big impact on the quality of my life - me now is cancer-free and i’m pretty sure that has increased my life-expectancy!

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
It was mad how a flippant light hearted comment made by someone got me
thinking about it all again.
The rational me knows that none of us know how long we have left but I think I just started to overthink everything and questioned if I had made a bad choice at the time. I have also felt bitter that I ever had it in the first place as I always went for smears when invited and that’s reared its head again.
I am trying to put it to the back of my mind again and move on :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi kittykat. Thanks for replying. I must seem ungrateful to women who wish they were eight years free. Cancer is such a scary thing and the thought of it coming back is terrifying. I have got my rational sensible head back on and burying it again where it belongs.
I wish you all the best x

2 Likes