6 months post abdominal rad hyst

Hello ladies,

I wanted to have a bit of a whinge and a 'poor me' moment if that's ok.

im just over 6 months after my op. I'm back at work part time but other than that I just don't seem to be getting any better. I've massively struggled with getting active. By that I mean walking a mile, not going for a run. I seem to have a set back every time I try even gentle stretching. This week I've had to work from home due to the immense pain in my right hip. I can barely lift my leg.

i can't tie my laces or do anything I want to. I'm still in maternity jeans and 2 size up clothes and stacking on more weight due to inactivity.

My abdomen is hard snd swollen and never goes down. I see my consultant for my check up on Monday but need to have a moan to people who understand. My friend's don't seem to get it, they just compare it to a random relatI've who had a hysterectomy. Meh! My partner is terrible at sympathy, he keeps giving me lists of things I should do/think etc rather than offering compassion.

Sorry for the typso, my iPad hates the forum. Hope you are all doing well xx

Hi Jo -

I think sometimes we can forget what our bodies have been through!! - month ahead of you on the hysterectomy as you know and I can honestly say I have only just noticed in the last week or so that my stomach is not quite as bloated or tender - I have had to continue with the treatment so think that hasn't helped but I long for my normal clothes and underwear!!.

have recently lost my hair but have accepted that so much easier than the change in my shape and general fitness - still get aches and pains.I also think the difference is we have not just had a hysterectomy we have also had to deal with getting our heads around forever changes and we didnt get the choice.

I think partners find it hard and maybe we forget how much our changes have also affected them - my partner I must admit has been fantastic but then we have been together for donkeys years lol.. but he to has lost the old me, the chance to have a family and seeing the one you love go through pain and discomfort.

One thing I can reccomend is bio-oil, i use it often and it had done wonders for my scare and keeps the skin in that area so supple.

Take care and give yourself a break - we are all allowed a moan!!

Naomi

Forgot to mention the hip pain!! - I know as well this can be really uncomfortable - and I have got a bit fed up with taking pain killers due to there ability to bung me up lol - have you tried using one of those wheaty bags you heat in the microwave, I find it helps as I can wrap it around the offending joint!!

Naomi 

Oh Jo,

I really feel for you. People think "it's JUST a hysterectomy" and don't seem to understand the implications of it linked to cancer with the loss of all the lymph nodes too, our bodies have so much more to go through than just 6 wks worth of healing. Even at my early stage now talking to people, I can see they don't really understand. My husband

has been really understanding as he has been reading so much on this forum over the past 3 weeks (which I'm really pleased about. He would like a "husbands " section!).

theres nothing I can say to make u feel better except I hear what your saying and I send you much love and empathy xxx I hope things start to improve

xxx dons

ps my iPad also empathises with you- can be so hard to write on this site, especially if make a typo... Urgh...!

Hi ladies,

Thanks for replying, think I'm psychologically a bit delicate at the moment as my appointment is coming up. Brings back all the fear every time and I lose my marbles ever so slightly. Or they all roll away down a very steep hill!

Naomi - great to hear from you. I remember us being diagnosed at a similar time. I hope you're doing well after tyour further treatment, it must have been hard.

The hip is like a very sharp pain, I think it's damage from surgery as I could feel really raw pain around my drainage site on that side, even through the epidural. Every now and again something seems to give way in there and OH MY it is painful! I have problems with a bulging disc from years ago which is also playing up and stopping me from walking. Walking's the only thing I could do so I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself! Need to get to the pool I reckon.

I have so many positive things to be thankful of, but sometimes the negative bits take over and it's hard to see a way out. I've put a post it note on my PC at work that says "what a difference a year makes" to keep me grounded.

Thanks again :) I feel a lot better after a cry and a chat with my partner, and your replies.

xx

Hi Jo

I know i'm a few months behind  you but here i am 7 weeks post hysterectomy and i'm frustated at my recovery rate.  Anything physical requires me to take a nap afterwards! take today for example i managed the morning school run but my parents had to do the afternoon one.  i still don't feel upto driving yet either.

the lady who had her surgery the same day as me (for a different cancer so not as difficult as mine) told me yesterday that she is back to playing tennis!!! 

i know i shouldn't compare our recoverys but she is 28 years older than me! and i would have expected that to be me!

i also wonder the longer i stay away from society as it were the harder it is to get back into it!! Daytime TV seems to be rotting my brain.

Returning to work seems a long way off!

another frustrateee

Pat

x

Hi Jo,

It's really difficult to be patient with healing after this crappy disease.  Though I hope your consultant has some suggestions on how to get you better quicker as you shouldn't just have to just put up with the hip pain.  I would also make a list of all the things that are bothering you and ask the consultant for a plan! 

I hope your appointment goes well. It's another milestone and you have done so well!

Sending you a big hug. Tess xxx 

Thanks ladies,

It can be so frustrating recovering from this surgery. I know i'm lucky that my treatment ended there but it's very hard to recover from.

My aunt warned me it'd take a year after having a similar op herself but I didn't believe her really. I just thought, I'm 30, I'm active, I'm going to bounce back way quicker. Ha! I now fully understand that it will be a year I reckon before I am feeling fully energised.

I can do way more than months ago, that's for sure. It's just hard to see the progress when it's less obvious.

Pat - at 7 weeks I was very much still a patient in a lot of ways. Doing anything at all completely wiped me out. I think I started swimming around 10 weeks, but that was just walking up and down the pool. It felt great though and 3 weeks after that I was swimming a few lengths.

We'll get there, slowly but surely! {{{{Group Hug}}}}

xx

Thanks ladies,

It can be so frustrating recovering from this surgery. I know i'm lucky that my treatment ended there but it's very hard to recover from.

My aunt warned me it'd take a year after having a similar op herself but I didn't believe her really. I just thought, I'm 30, I'm active, I'm going to bounce back way quicker. Ha! I now fully understand that it will be a year I reckon before I am feeling fully energised.

I can do way more than months ago, that's for sure. It's just hard to see the progress when it's less obvious.

Pat - at 7 weeks I was very much still a patient in a lot of ways. Doing anything at all completely wiped me out. I think I started swimming around 10 weeks, but that was just walking up and down the pool. It felt great though and 3 weeks after that I was swimming a few lengths.

We'll get there, slowly but surely! {{{{Group Hug}}}}

xx