6 month PET scan post treatment unclear

So I know I have my own ongoing post but just wondering if anyone has gone through the same!
After chemo/rads for 2b my 3 month scan showed a small area so had another mri a few weeks ago, this showed area was still shrinking (down to approximately 1cm) and they suggested it’s scar tissue so sent me for a PET scan as least invasive way to find out.
Just spoke to my cns and the PET scan is inconclusive (no cancer showing anywhere else etc except kidney which I know about) she says the the PET scan can’t differentiate between cancer and inflammation scarring etc so they will now most likely do an EUA.
Anyone else been in this situation, I’m still trying to be optimistic as it’s definitely getting smaller but not sure my head can take much more of this! X

1 Like

Hi. I was in the same position and had a 1cm residual lighting up on PET which they were unsure of. I was also staged at 2b adeno. I had a AUE February this year which showed definite residual cancer. My options were leave it. Try for a hysterectomy as it was central and not in my wall, or further chemo. I opted for the hysterectomy which was done in March. Risks high due to the fact that I had already had chemo and radiation finishing off with bracky. Everything was fine with no complications. I am now NED. The actual AUE was a breeze it took around 30 mins and I was asleep. I did not feel
Uncomfortable when I woke and was allowed home within 2 hrs. Good luck x

1 Like

Thanks @jokitchen i really appreciate your response, was yours still shrinking? They keep telling me it’s good that it is and this is just to give me reassurance and a definite answer but I have had so much bad news lately I’m doubtful of everything they tell me now. X

They didn’t say just that at my 3 month scan there was the residual and I had the options. Maybe it would have carried on shrinking I don’t know but they definitely wanted it removed. I have read lots of posts from ladies who had residual like me at 3 months and for some reason all were told it is shrinking yet I wasn’t ! To be honest my mind was all over the place and I just wanted it removed so glad they gave me the option to have the hysterectomy. I was treated at and was finally given the all clear in November after further scans. I have asked about the chances of recurrence and was assured that it was unlikely now seeing as through I had both chemoradiation and then the hysterectomy. Keep me informed of your progress. I can relate to where your mind is at the moment but hopefully after the AUE is done they can see what’s what if anything x

1 Like

Thank you again @jokitchen i really do appreciate hearing from you.
I guess what’s getting me is that they keep talking about scar tissue and I have been very clear in That I want to know if they suspect something else.
This is such a difficult journey for everyone and I was desperate to get the answer from the PET scan so I could then focus on my kidney cancer.
I’m seeing my consultant next week so will keep you updated x
So glad your doing well xx

1 Like

Hi @jokitchen just seen my consultant and they are booking in a biopsy in the next couple of weeks, it is only that nodule that’s in my cervix the PET scan shows no other spread etc and it was never in my lymph nodes so what I am now confused about is that basically they said if it’s residual cancer then it would be the whole major surgery removal of my bladder bowel etc, I don’t understand because I thought if it was small, contained and no spread etc they did a salvage hysterectomy not just dive right in and take everything?
I’m so stressed lol xx