3rd LLETZ treatment

Over the last 10 years I’ve tested positive for HPV multiple times, CIN 1, 2 and 3 have been detected, and I’ve had a polypectomy (38 years old, no kids, don’t want any).

At my colposcopy 2 weeks ago the nurse confirmed I’d tested positive for CIN 2 again, and would need my third LLETZ treatment (apparently there was some kind of admin error as I should have been sent straight to a consultant).

This couldn’t be done at the time, it has to be done under GA- she confirmed this before the colposcopy took place, and asked if I’d thought about a hysterectomy, as I guess this is pretty persistent.

After the procedure, she seems to think that the cervix is clear, and that the cells may have come from another polyp that they’ve found.

I don’t know why the LLETZ and polypectomy need to be done under GA, I didn’t ask, I was caught a little off guard, and it’s bugging me.

I’ve been provisionally booked in for 9th December, awaiting pre op, but this hysterectomy ‘seed’ has been planted, (they’d warned me after two it was an option), and I don’t know if it’s something I should be pushing for.

Apologies for the long post, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar

Thanks x

Hi @RhiRhi

Most of the time its done under GA for our comfort or simply just because its the person whos doing its preference

A hysterectomy is usually considered when other treatments havnt worked/they cant do anymore or abnormal cells keep returning mainly when its CIN3, but did they also make you aware that having one wont stop you from developing abnormalities or remove the HPV? The procedure is seen/done as a very last resort as you can still develop the abnormalities where the cervix used to be (the cuff) instead of CIN cells they would then be named VAIN and you would have regular vault smears to help prevent vaginal cancer instead of cervical smears for CC

It may be worth speaking to them to get all your ducks in a row, but unless you do actually have abnormalities (as you said she thinks it looks clear snd was more from another polyp than actual abnormalities) they wont entertain it as its not medically necassary and could cause you more harm in the long run xx