2nd Lletz to remove 1a1...what next? (Pregnancy mentioned)

Hi there, 

I got diagnosed with CIN3 over a year ago but due to pregnancy I had to wait 9 months for a biopsy, the biopsy showed 1a1 early stage cancer and got sent for a MRI which came back ALL clear. I thought that was the end and could go away all happy and not worry...but no! he did a second lletz, which was really painful due to having one just 3 weeks before. 

What's worrying me is he's said that he's hoping this second biopsy will show CIN2??? But people have lletz treatment for that don't they!? So does that mean I will have to have a third?? He also mentioned I will from now on get yearly MRI scans. I just want the WHOLE thing to go away, not worry about it each year :( 

Has anyone else had the same experience please? Thanks 

Hi.I had two LLETZ in 8 weeks as I had 1a1. I know that in the South West  (not sure where you are) do remove both CIN2  & CIN3 but have been told they are stopping the treatment for CIN2 in the future and will only monitor patients. I am now being monitored for 10 years so I would expect you will be monitored for some time too. At least you're having MRI scans....don't have that luxury down here. I do feel reassured  (a tiny bit) that they are looking after me for 10 years but I'm also struggling with dealing with things. I've just written my first forum on here yesterday so I'm hoping we can all give each other that support we all desperately want. Xx

Hi Ladies,

I had LLETZ on 23.4.15 at the time he wasn't sure what it was! Got told yesterday that it was 1a1 & all cc removed with clear margins. I am choosing to have a normal hysterectomy to be safe.

I wish you well xxx

Thankyou for your replies. It sounds like your experiences are both very similar to mine, and I'm hoping he offers me a hysterectomy as I have 3 children alread,  my consultant has not mentioned that as an option yet I'm just hoping he does when I go to collect my Result. Just don't want the worry each year. I have been so poorly the last couple of days after my lletz with flu like symptoms. He gave me a weeks course of antibiotics so I am taking them, just hope it helps soon. 

I'm 39 & have no kids, never wanted them. My consultant said if he had finished his family or didn't want them he would have a hysterectomy. I'm in Essex. Hopefully you'll be offered the same. He said I could end treatment now & they would keep a close eye on me but I said "no thanks, whip it out ta!" X

I'm 39 & have no kids, never wanted them. My consultant said if he had finished his family or didn't want them he would have a hysterectom. I'm in Essex. Hopefully you'll be offered the same. He said I could end treatment now & they would keep a close eye on me but I said "no thanks, whip it out ta!" X

How long do you have to wait for a hysterectomy? The only thing that's putting me off one is the recovery, I'm on maternity leave at the moment due back to work in September. I have a 8yr old, 5yr old and a 20 week old. I can't afford to be laid up for long and my partner can't be off work if I'm not working. Maybe I will have the choice in a year or so when circumstances are better. 

Hi ladies

I was diagnosed with 1A1 cervical cancer on 23rd sept last year.  I had a Lletz when I went for my colposcopy a few days after I had been told I had abnormal cells.  I was told I had cancer and that it had all been removed at the same appointment!

I also opted for a simple abdominal hysterectomy and had my surgery 17th October, was in hospita 2 nights and was off work for 12 weeks.  My consultant said I could have gone back to work earlier if I had an office job etc but Im a nurse so told me I needed the full 3 months off.

Ive just had a vault smear, another one in 12 months and ten thats it as far as monitoring goes.  So glad I opted for surgery, I could not face the wait and anxiety everytime I had a smear

Wishing you all a speedy recovery whatever you choose to do

Anne x

I dont know how long I'll have to wait, as soon as I do I'll let you know! You'll have to do what is best for you hunni.

Good to hear you're well Anne. Really 2 vault smears & then done? No more monitoring? I must confess I am looking forward to not having monthlies! Xxx

I had 1a1 but due to the fact that I am hopefully going for IVF later this year, my consultant woud only 'nibble' away at my cervix to try and save as much as he could so I don't miscarry (if I ever get that far).. Part of me just wants a hysterctomy so I don't worry as I really can't stop thinking about 'will the cancer return?' I have had continual 'period pain' type pains since my operation at the beginning of April and just worry that things are not good...how on earth am I gonna last until my first check up appointment in 6 months?! I have endometreosis and am also waiting an operation to try and save my only ovary .. if it's not successful then there won't be any IVF and I may just ask for a hystertectomy to stop all this worry. Why do we all have to go through such horrid, worrying, terrifying times...but I am so pleased I have now found this site so we can all talk to each other for support. xx

Hi Anne

I had my hysterectomey last novemebr and have my first vault smear in june however my consuktant who did my op indicated i would stay on the annual vault smear programme for ten years? i wonder if this depends on the authority we are under or has it recently changed?  also have you had any period like pelvic pains post op, i had them this month exactly like period pains only a lot milder

thanks Sarah xx

Ahhhh bless your little socks Cathryn. I would take comfort in the fact that if they thought your safest option was a hysterectomy straight outthen thats what you'd have been advised.  Originally on 8.4.15 when I was staged at 1b1 my only option was a radical hysterectomy but thankfully it's been downgraded. I now can't wait to get spade! :)

You're right this site is FABULOUS! xxx

Ahhhh bless your little socks Cathryn. I would take comfort in the fact that if they thought your safest option was a hysterectomy straight outthen thats what you'd have been advised.  Originally on 8.4.15 when I was staged at 1b1 my only option was a radical hysterectomy but thankfully it's been downgraded. I now can't wait to get spade! :)

You're right this site is FABULOUS! xxx

PS Cathryn why was they talking about lymph node removal, because they didn't get clear margins? xxx

Thanks FrankelsAngel. Bet you were so pleased yours was downgraded..You have actually just hit the nail on the head with what you said about my safest option...so thank you. Sometimes, you just need to hear common sense to make things sink in. I did talk about hysterectomy to my consultant and he said that he just wants to take a bit of my cervix at a time due to the IVF.  He mentioned lymph node removal as my tumour was 6mm with no clear margins at the first op and in the southwest, if the tumour measures 7mm they remove your lymph nodes. At my second op, there was no more tumour only CGIN3, which then led me to worry that the cancer was spreading to my endocervix. The main niggle that's getting me is ' what if the CGIN3 cells were elsewhere in the cervix and not only in the bit they removed?'. I am seeing a macmillan nurse this morning so am going to ask the question 'do cancer cells only group together or is there a chance they could also be elsewhere in the cervix?'. Do you know the answer to that? xx

Good luck with your appointment this morning. I don't know the answer but it would be good to know. The mind can be a very convincing thing & make you believe all manner of things that aren't true! It must be doubley worse to grow through this & want children, I'm lucky I don't have that worry as I never wanted any. One thing I do know is if you're meant to be a Mumma you will & nothing will change that! Xxx

Visited my local Macmillan centre yesterday and met with such a lovey nurse who answered a lot of questions. I asked about if the cancer could be elsewhere in my cervix that could have been missed and she explained things in very simple english. Imagine a fire, the centre of the fire....(the start of the cancer)...firefighters will concentrate on putting out the fire at the source. They will then check surounding rooms (imagine the tissues around the centre of your cancer are the surrounding rooms). If there are no more little fires in the surrounding rooms, then the fire is contained...the same applies for cancer cells. If the 'fire' is contained, the firefighters won't randomly check another room which is on the other side of the building...this means that as the cancer was contained, and the area around it was checked and was clear, then there is no requirement for the surgeons to check elsewhere in the cervix. Hope I have explained this well enough....it put my mind at ease knowing this. xx

Nicely put, I get it! Lol 

Glad nothing has spread! Phew!

Clare xxx

Hi sarah

hope you are doing well post op.  I do still have the occasional ache in pain but I have now put it down to more bowel problems. I don't feel quite right but there is nothing wrong if that makes sense. I think all the moving around plus the bowel and bladder slightly changing position can cause some discomfort rather than pain. I had my 6 month check the other week and the consultant was pleased with how things are looking. Still numb around the scar but I can cope with that compared to the alternative of worrying myself to death

Keep well

anne x

That's a brilliant analogy! Really helpful :-)

Thanks so much for sharing Cathryn