2 years post treatment..pelvic and thigh pain

2 years post treatment 2B squamous cell

Complete resolution following 29 EBR; 6 weeks Cisplatin and 3 Brachytherapy. 

Ive suffered with the dodgy bowel...tight hips...weight gain from HRT but all managable.

However in the last 3 weeks I've had right hip and thigh pain (dexa scan sept 2020 showed Femur thinning)

This last week I've had terrible pelvic pain almost like intense period pains and these only ease after a bowel movement. 

Any ideas? 

Hi Murphy19

I'm about 4 years post treatment.  Certainly my bowels don't work so well as they did before treatment; I have a tendency to get backed up which is accompanied with pain but then relieved with a bowel movement.  I think it's important to keep well hydrated; I've also found abdominal massage can help speed up a reluctant bowel movement which is helpful  - the sort of thing I mean is in the following link (I find just doing step 4 helps):

https://www.wchc.nhs.uk/content/uploads/2019/12/Self-abdominal-massage.pdf

Bone wise I was diagnosed with compression fractures in two of my lumbar vertebrae last November and I'm now on medication for osteoporosis. My DEXA scan also showed that I have osteoporosis in my hip.   I'm in my mid 60s and have a family history of osteoporosis but the doctor said it's very likely that my radiotherapy treatment has made things worse than they might otherwise have been.  To the best of my understanding osteoporosis/bone thinning in itself doesn't cause pain - it's resulting bone fractures which cause pain albeit luckily I don't have much back pain but it does get a bit stiff and achey if I stay in one position for too long.

I do get pain in my right hip and at the top of my inner right thigh but in my case I think it's caused by the swelling I have from the lymphoedema I very unfortunately developed on my right side.

x

I am 9 years post treatment and could list the numerous after effects of the radiotherapy:
Very severe proctitis requiring transfusions of iron, Bowel disruption , ending with a perforated colon and a permanent colostomy, insufficiency fractures in the pelvis and other minor problems.
However I am alive and well in myself, enjoying my family despite continued hip pain.
Radiation continues working but on the whole is worth it!!

2 Likes