2 weeks into treatment

I’ve done 2 weeks of treatment for stage 2b cc which apart from being tired and very emotional haven’t gone too bad, until today! Today I feel really tired, seem to have a constant wind problem, feel fuzzy headed, sick and just generally feel crap, is this normal?

I feel like I’m losing myself and just generally that my life is not in my control anymore as the side effects seem to be kicking in.

Not sure how I’m going to get through the next 3 weeks as I know it’s just going to get harder and I’m so dreading the brachytherapy.

Hi Melanie,

Good to read your posting, have been wondering how you have been doing. There's no norm really as everyone is different and each day is different too. It's true that the tiredness builds as time goes on, and I certainly felt more sick the couple of days after the chemo, but my team did try different anti sickness medication to try and get on top of it. Unfortunately, it was only at week 5 that I found out that I had been having too much chemo, nearly half as much on top each time, so my sickness did get bad! You are not far off half way through now. Try to look back at what you have completed rather than what is ahead, as you never know what it might turn out like, and we always seem to anticipate the worst. Get loads of rest if at all possible and get friends and family to do as much as they can for you If they are around. Hang onto the fact that each day you are beating this monster and moving towards getting rid of it. I had my treatment a year ago just as you are having yours now. Right now I am feeling really good and so grateful to be here. I didn't have the brachytherapy as I had a radical hysterectomy before the chemo radiation, but I'm sure that others can tell you more about it. When does your treatment finish.? Take one day at a time, it's all you can do, and some days will be better than others.

Take care, big hugs

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your message. My treatment is due to finish a couple of days before christmas with a final brachytherapy just after. 

Mel x

Hi, sorry tell you but yes this is normal! The brachy doesnt cause these symptoms  just makes you really sore down below for a few days - I don't know if it's a side effect but I had stabbing pains also after - they do go off eventually.

the side effects can last after the treatment has finished also as it did with me and it took about 5/6 weeks once treatment had finished for me to feel "normal".

sorry if I worry you!

Hi Ladies,

I too am sorry to say that the way you are feeling is completely normal. The brachytherapy isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. My first two were fine and experienced some urinary frequency for a week or so after the last with some discomfort.

All the best for the rest of your treatment.

Rach xx

Hey Melanie :-)
Today is Wednesday so you are now halfway through! YAY!
I take it the bleeding stopped?
When you are tired and feeling like crap just go to bed and rest. Let others do the running around. You are being treated for a nasty disease so No, you are not in control just at the moment. But you will be back in the driving seat soon enough.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Tivoli,
I was given tranexamic acid tablets before treatment started and these stopped the bleeding, I’m 3 weeks into treatment and they keep telling me to take them, don’t know how much longer I will need them?
Mel x

Hi Mel :-)

Sorry I cannot answer your question about how long you'll need to take the tranexamic acid tablets for but I just wanted to congratulate you on being sixty percent of the way through your treatment :-)

(((((HUGS)))))

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Mel

My mum finished her treatment for stage 2b Scc 3 weeks ago and she's tired a ot of the time but doing better than she was. I panic now and again thinking what happens if it comes back... but im sure everyone does that.

She's had exactly the same as you and come out the other end. She's coping ok, some days better than others. Some days she's like her old self and then the next she's crying and feeling useless.

The treatment continues to work up to 3 months after treatment has finished so im just conscious that she's not going to feel on top of the world.

She gets breathless now and again, feels lifeless when she's done things - id like to know if this is normal?