1st LLETZ successful with CGIN?

Hi you all lovey ladies, reading a few posts relating to CGIN it seems that further treatment after 1st LLETZ is not uncommon. can someone reassure me with their experiences of 1st successful LLETZ?
I just had the procedure done today. My letter with smear results didnt say what type of cell changes there were. I was told today at colposcopy it was CGIN.
How successful your 1st LLETZ was to remove CGIN? Thank you xxx

Hi @Smiley83
I had a lletz treatment last July at colposcopy.
My smear had confirmed CGIN and hpv+ Thankfully they removed all of the abnormal cells during this first treatment and I didn’t require anything further. I had a 6 month smear just after Christmas (the ‘test of cure’) and I am waiting for the results of this. I have read other stories on here of ladies who also had successful outcomes with their first LLETZ…so try to think positively! x

1 Like

This is great Andi, fingers crossed your smear will come back clear. Please do let us know. Im glad that you have seen stories here about successful 1st procedures, you have given me hope. I so dont want to go back(((

1 Like

Hi
I was diagnosed with cgin last September and underwent a lletz,after a gruelling long wait as it had to go to an MDT meeting it came back that the lletz had removed all of the cells :blush:,I am due back for a second smear in March so will wait and see what happens at that one. Good luck :blush: xx

3 Likes

Hi Andi
Do keep us posted on your results,fingers crossed for you :slightly_smiling_face: xx

2 Likes

I’m afraid I can’t add to what’s already been said, but I’ve been lurking for a couple of days and have joined specifically to reply here :slight_smile: I’m in a really similar boat. I had my LLETZ on Friday so have a 4-6 week ahead of me. My diagnosis from colposcopy biopsy was high grade CGIN. They found another area that didn’t look right at the LLETZ but trying hard not to fret. Hope you don’t mind me popping up to say hello, but there seems to be very little around about CGIN, so thought you might like to meet a fellow ‘rare’ diagnosed person :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just wanted to give some reassurance for those of you who have been diagnosed with CGIN. I had my smear test in May 2020 and had a reply saying I had abnormal cells and would need a colposcopy. I’ve always had regular smears so felt instantly worried. I did have some abnormal post menopausal bleeding before Christmas which needed a hysteroscopy procedure. I was whisked in quite quickly for my appt which also scared me. When I got to the clinic I was told I had granular abnormalities and would need Lletz straight away. It completely floored me and I was too shocked to say anything or ask any questions. The procedure started and I had gas and air which is wonderful and highly recommended for pain relief. The procedure was then stopped and the Consultant said that on reflection he would do the procedure under general anaesthetic. He stressed that I needed to have it done as soon as he could fit me in and he would do the hysteroscopy at the same time.

My Op was 2 weeks later. It felt very scary going into the hospital on my own due to Covid restrictions. I had read almost everything I could on CGIN which frightened me even more. I have to say all the staff were amazing. I was so nervous but I was very well taken care off. The consultant told me in the recovery room that he had also found a polyp which he had removed. He would be in touch with the results in about 3 weeks.

The 3 weeks came and he rang me to say the results were not back. He then rang the following week to say they were running additional tests. I was beside myself by this point as I have always suffered from health anxiety. Eventually after 5 weeks he rang to say there was definitely no cancer and the margins were clear and he would see me back in 6 months in his clinic for another smear. I was damn relieved. I lived on this forum during this time and just devoured as much research as I could.

I hope this gives some reassurance to those post menopausal women or others who
Have been diagnosed with CGIN. The lack of communication or letters with appointments which didn’t arrive could be improved but the care I received was amazing and so reassuring.

I’ve since had a Test of cure which was clear. Another one due next week so hopeful results are still clear.

5 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing your story - it does help hearing success stories :slight_smile: I wish I’d been offered gas and air when I had my local anaesthetic injections - they were brutal! (For anyone finding this later and worrying, please don’t this doesn’t seem to be the case for everyone - I just had some bad cervical erosion that made the whole area sensitive. It was over very quickly too.)

I actually found a US paper (so it’s entirely possible that things are done differently there) that offers some statistics on the original question. It found that LLETZ is slightly less likely to give clear margins (be successful) for CGIN than CIN but it’s still more likely it will work than not, on the first attempt. I’m not sure whether statistics help most people as much as they do me, but I found that quite reasurring :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I had a cone biopsy under GA in May for CGIN cells. Is that the same as LLETZ? The results came back as successful treatment. I’ve had my six month smear today at the hospital so I’ll get my results for that in the next few weeks. Best wishes to everyone else going through this process xx

2 Likes

Hi
Welcome to the group. It’s so lovely to know that there are other people dealing with cgin as I do feel sometimes alone with it all. I am due to have my 6 months check up in march so I’m hoping to be able to come on here with a success story but either way I shall keep you all updated x

3 Likes

hi, @sunshine24
This is great!! Let us know how your smear is! Keeping fingers crossed for you xx

2 Likes

not at all. i felt the same…there wasnt a lot of experiences of cgin. Sending you hugs :hugs:
Let us know of your lletz results. xx

2 Likes

Hi @morgang1965
Your experience with cgin/lletz deffinitely is giving me hopes!!
You are right the letters could have more information. My letter just said cell changes were found. At first i wanted to call the gp and ask how bad the changes were and then decided not to work myself up while waiting for colposcopy. Meanwhile i was reading all the information about different grades of cell changes and treatments etc…a lot to process. Then wehn at colposcopy i was told it was cgin i completely forgot what i had read about it . The nurse was so kind and comforting and chatting me up that i forgot all about my questions. Now waiting for the lletz results, fingers crossed xx

2 Likes

hi @LondonCatMum London
Wellcome to the forum!
From what i read cone procedure is different from lletz but still it;s great to know your treatment was successful!
Fingers crossed for your first post treatment smear :crossed_fingers:
xxx

1 Like

Hello I had CGIN removed in July I only had to have lletz once. I have my test for cure on Thursday so 6 months after my my lletz. They all agreed at the MDT meeting that the lletz had clear margins. But cgin always means test for cure months after even with clear margins

3 Likes

Hello!

I had thE LLETZ procedure in June and had my 6 month check up in December. I had had CINII, but my check up smear came back completely clear and free of abnormal cells and HPV. My next smear now wont be until 2025! I hope yours will be the same,
Best of luck xxx

4 Likes

I had a LLETZ to remove CGIN over a year ago.

I had an appointment with Oncology about 6 weeks later where they advised clear margins and my plan. I had 6 monthly smears, now moving to annual, a 6 month MRI and due for an 18 month in June.

No recurrence so far and was advised mine unlikely to recurr, fingers crossed.

I am post menopause and had a slight bleed in October. As I had previous issues I was seen and treated in 2 weeks, it was a polyp found in a hysteroscopy and removed and tested clear for cancer.

Don’t panic if you get an appointment with Oncology. It’s nothing sinister and doesn’t mean you have cancer

3 Likes

hi, great to know you only had 1 lletz. I so dont want to go back. It’s good that there is a more frequent testing after treatment to keep an eye on it and make sure it’s gone. Let us know how you;ve done xx

2 Likes

hi, nice to hear you are doing well. what was MRI for if you dont mind me asking? Just wondering if it’s something standard and expected or depends. xxx

2 Likes

Really appreciating all of these replies, too. Really helps to hear success stories. Really good to know that an oncology appointment doesn’t necessarily mean terrifying news :slight_smile: I’m only 2 weeks into the wait for LLETZ results and starting to get a bit nervous x

1 Like