11 weeks post-treatment (cold coagulation)

Hi All,

I’m hoping someone may be going through similar things to me so I don’t feel so confused and alone.

I had the cold coagulation procedure ~11 weeks ago. For anyone curious, my personal experience of the treatment was that the anaesthetic injection was the only painful part and the rest I barely felt a thing.

The days after I felt so uncomfortable and had such bad abdominal pain I had to take the 2 days following off work. At around 1 week post-treatment I noticed an extremely foul smell so went to the doctor and they confirmed it was an infection and provided me with antibiotics. I had avoided everything they told me to, and did everything they told me to, but it still managed to get infected!

My bleeding stopped at about 4ish weeks and the watery discharged stopped at about 6ish weeks, but I think it probably lasted a bit longer than expected due to the infection hindering the healing process slightly.

Just days after the discharge stopped, I got my period. Usually my periods are relatively average in terms of heaviness and I only get mild period pains. However, this period, I had such severe abdominal pain that I would cry out in pain, I didn’t want to move, and typical painkillers didn’t really do much. The period itself was so heavy I was leaking into my pants 3 times a day and I had to throw away my bedding from all the stains. It lasted the full week and I cried the entire period because I was terrified all my periods were going to be like this now (I’m 25 so I expect to have a lot more periods ahead of me).

In the weeks that followed, up to week 10, I found that I was still getting mild achey feelings in my lower abdomen particularly after doing lots of bending or playing sport. But this week - week 11 - I am having the watery discharge again! There’s no blood or smell, but it’s so watery my bed looked like I’d wet myself and I’m now having to wear pads again! This has lasted 3 days now.

I don’t know what’s going on with me and I’m so confused because all the information you get is up to ~6 weeks post treatment and then the inference is that you should be back to normal, but I’m definitely not!

Has anyone had a similar experience to me? Can anyone put my mind at ease and make me feel like this is normal? No one seems to talk about further down the line.

I’ve recently moved so I went to see a new doctor and when I explained I’d had cold coagulation he didn’t know what it was! Later in the conversation he asked me how my precancerous cells were diagnosed and I said just from my smear. He asked why I had a smear done and I said it was a routine one. He said he didn’t realise woman had routine smears! Obviously he said just to give it time but I have no faith in his advice, given the interaction.

Any sort of advice or personal experiences would be very appreciated. I can’t even describe it, I just feel sort of alone.

Thanks everyone,
Emily.

Update:

I ended up in hospital on intravenous antibiotics.
The thought is that there was a bacterial infection on my cervix which spread into my womb and then to my upper genital tract (tubes and ovaries), causing pelvic inflammatory disease.

Pelvic inflammatory disease is a major cause of infertility (reported ~1 in 10 women with PID become infertile). Luckily I’ve had a ultrasound and probe scan which has shown no damage so I’m fortunate in that the doctors don’t believe I’ll have any issues with my fertility. But the idea that it could have been worse terrifies me.

I wish there was some way I could report my experience with cold-coagulation because everything I’ve been through was not expected and never mentioned to me as a risk of the procedure. This whole experience has really affected with my mental health.

I’m assuming no one has been able to relate to my experience given I’ve had no replies?

Thanks again
E

Hello,

I’m so sorry to hear that you have experienced the symptoms you had. I got cryotheraphy 8 months ago for lesions and my periods have changed a little. Also I have some little cramps on my pelvic area sometimes but at first it was more, it gradually decreased. I’m not sure I have pelvic inflamatuary disease. How was your symptoms? Did your doctor do vaginal culture test before cold coagulation?