10 days after Lletz

Hi, just a vent really, feeling so uncomfy.
Had the Lletz 6 May, under a general, which didn’t help my mental state…had severe anxiety before and after it.

As so many point out, the after effects of this procedure can be downplayed.
I read a lot, and thought maybe a few days of cramps, discharge or bleeding then get on with things.

I don’t know if I’m just being a sook, but 10 days later I’m off work and in tears.
I went back to work last week 3 days after the op, and was ok, but went downhill Sunday.
Weak, teary, and as of now still have the grey/black discharge (no blood yet!) and the smell…omg.
As I’ve seen mentioned, it’s an off vegetable smell and still going. I’m too embarrassed to go to work with that, let alone my teariness and tiredness and constant cramping pain.

I’m scared of when the bleeding starts. I aleady battle heavy periods with large clots, and some mention heavy bleeding can occur in the next weeks.

Also a bit worried that I was due for a period 2 days before the Lletz, but haven’t had it yet :/.
Where did it go?? Lol.

No results yet, also a bit nervous there, but overall just feel yuk. I’m in my early 50s for context.

Thanks for listening, hope everyone is doing ok whatever you are dealing with, and that others can relate to my experience.

I had 2 lletz procedures, one under local and one under general. Discharge lasted quite a long time, and changed over the course of it - initially i had very watery discharge, but the second time around it was like it had bits of charcoal in it… lovely! It was a good few weeks before things felt “normal” physically.

It did also have a funny smell. Not a terrible smell, just odd and vaguely offputting. If you find the smell is really pungently rotten then it’s worth checking in with your doctor or calling the colposcopy unit where you were referred - they may want to see you just to check there’s no infection etc. But an odd smell is normal, and the discharge you describe sounds normal to me too based on my own experience with it.

Psychologically though I really struggled, especially after the first one under local. I was happy to be knocked out the second time. It’s totally normal to feel stressed and teary. Don’t beat yourself up. I felt horrible and almost violated (even though i obviously chose to go through with the op) and i had trouble processing that feeling. My work are pretty decent so i was able to take whatever time i needed. Hopefully you can do the same. But don’t worry, no one will smell you unless they have their face in your crotch!

I didn’t have any particular issues with my periods afterwards. Stress can obviously play silly buggers with lots of things, so your cycle being a bit off is probably not so unexpected. Your body is also trying to heal at the moment. As ever though, you can always speak to your GP if you are worried. If it’s nothing, then you’ll at least get some peace of mind.

1 Like

I think the general anesthesia makes you feel weird. I had my LEEP/LLETZ last Friday and I still feel weird. I also feel gross and stinky, the kind of stink you can’t wash off. I think we just need to have patience and compassion with ourselves. Our body has honestly just been through a trauma, we look fine on the outside but we’re dealing with a lot internally and emotionally. I think messing with the cervix causes hormonal issues like the baby blues you get after birth for a couple of weeks. Just keep telling yourself you are healing, it won’t always be like this, the sadness is just hormonal. We will get through this together!

1 Like

Thankyou sooo much to you both!

I guess we need all the reminders we can get…this is really not a quick in and out procedure.

I feel a lot better today…not as crampy, not as smelly, and the yuk has changed from black to brown and red.
Didn’t leave the house for last 4 days though.

But honestly, sleeping and rest…everyone should be told to do that if needed without feeling guilt or like you’re a wimp.

I’m back to work tomorrow and fingers crossed the brain fog and weakness is better too.

Will be interesting to get the results…really do not want to go through it again :frowning:

Hi @Essie yes the side effects are extremely down played! I just wanted to pop in and warn u that u might get a scab come out too and it will look disgusting but is totally normal. No one warns u about that bit, so can freak u out a bit if not pre warned. The discharge should look like coffee grounds and has a strange smell. If u get any yellow/green discharge, a sour smell or severe pains, go see ur gp incase of infection.